How long does chicken... umm you know ... last?

PouleChick

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 6, 2016
SW France
:frowAnother newbie question from me! my cockerals have now started (quite gently - I'm impressed!) mounting the girls but I'm not sure what is 'normal' for chickens doing the deed? It all seems to be over rather quickly so I'm not sure if the boys know what they are doing or is it a fast thing? Tried to search for the answer before asking but only got chicken sexing threads!

I once had a video recording device in my coop... I saw my bantam roo an my tiny bantam hen “doing the deed” for almost 2 minutes... of course he went to a new home because jeez! But it takes a few seconds.

I once had a video recording device in my coop... I saw my bantam roo an my tiny bantam hen “doing the deed” for almost 2 minutes... of course he went to a new home because jeez! But it takes a few seconds.
That may have been aggressive dominance, not mating.

@PouleChick chicken mating might be a better search term.

OK thanks all - sounds like they know what they are doing then :lau:lau crazy quick!
If a roo is mating for over 30 secs take him away bc it hurts the hen
I'll keep an eye - for the moment they are bot pretty gentle and very quick!

@PouleChick chicken mating might be a better search term.
:lau:lau:lau I think you may be right - never though of that - was so tired yesterday! .......... oh yes lots of info - I'm a dingbat sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom