How long does it take polish chicks to feather out?

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I just got 4 polish chicks, but they were already 1-2 weeks old when I picked them up. I’m eager to get them outside but the Wisconsin Winter is still here and doesn’t seem like it’s ever going away. So I’m wondering how long it takes POLISH chicks to feather out. This is not my first batch of chicks, but I’ve heard people say polish are different.

Also, I’m wondering what is the minimum temperature they can go outside in at this age, and for how long. They are now 2-3.5 weeks old. We aren’t exact since we don’t have an exact hatch date.

I'm reposting since I didn't get any replies...

Last edited:
Polish feather out the same as other breeds. Here in Wisconsin it's still too cold. You are going to have to wait until they are closer to 8 weeks, or when it gets above 70, which apparently won't happen for 8 weeks by the way this spring is looking. I always wait until the end of May to the start of June to get my chicks so they can go out their first week in a sheltered sunny spot.

Polish feather out the same as other breeds. Here in Wisconsin it's still too cold. You are going to have to wait until they are closer to 8 weeks, or when it gets above 70, which apparently won't happen for 8 weeks by the way this spring is looking. I always wait until the end of May to the start of June to get my chicks so they can go out their first week in a sheltered sunny spot.
Thanks! I let them outside for 5-10 minutes yesturday and they enjoyed it until my Buff Orpington Pullet, Nugget, nipped one of them. Then they got cold and I thought them back to the brooding bin. I might do this every once in a while so they have a chance to eat fresh grass.

Back
Top Bottom