Mountain Peeps

Jesus is my life
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
I like to stock up on my layer feed since we live about an hour from the feed store. How long does layer feed last before it starts losing its nutritional value?

Thanks!

Depends on the feed and if the vitamins are stabilized.
I try not to feed anything older than 3 months but 6 months is definitely pushing it because the ground grains have lost nutrients by then.

That said. There really isn't any one answer. Storage conditions are much more important. A bag kept in a hot vehicle for 8 hours in the summer is probably about as good as a bag kept in a cool dry place for 4 months.

I like to stock up on my layer feed since we live about an hour from the feed store. How long does layer feed last before it starts losing its nutritional value?

Thanks!

Just so I know I'm always using fresh feed, I don't stock up more than a month or two at a time. Responsible mills have a milling date on the feed tag. I store feed in galvanized steel cans in a dry area on wood blocks. Keeping it up off the ground prevents condensation from accumulating inside the can. Cool, dry storage in sealed can to prevent pests from getting in feed will preserve it longer like ChickenCanoe mentioned.

Last edited:
Metal storage is recommended for preventing rodents and is ideal for most of you westerners.
I've been storing in stackable plastic bins where I can keep different feeds and haven't had a rodent issue yet.
It gets quite hot here and always humid. Metal can sweat under these conditions which could cause mold.
I do have metal containers in the cellar where it's cooler and I keep excess feed to be moved out to the coop storage periodically.

I have these 3 high and yet allow access to each. They hold about 90 pounds of feed.

Last edited:
Metal storage is recommended for preventing rodents and is ideal for most of you westerners.
I've been storing in stackable plastic bins where I can keep different feeds and haven't had a rodent issue yet.
It gets quite hot here and always humid. Metal can sweat under these conditions which could cause mold.
I do have metal containers in the cellar where it's cooler and I keep excess feed to be moved out to the coop storage periodically.

I have these 3 high and yet allow access to each. They hold about 90 pounds of feed.

Perhaps a dessicant container for dehumidifying, placed in steel containers could reduce moisture. It would have to be labeled for safe use near food stuffs of course. http://www.drypak.com/shippingContainerDesiccants.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom