How long to keep saddles on?

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello Friends!

So I have two of my chickens wearing saddles right now because my rooster Mo just really really likes them. They have so many feathers missing on their backs. I'm hoping the saddles will give them some protection so the feathers can begin to grow back. My question is: How long should they wear the saddles? How long does it take for feathers to grow back? Additionally, if they do grow back, won't this just happen again, or is there a chance our rooster might simmer down a bit and not go after these two girls as much? Any input is appreciated. This is our first time owning a rooster so all of this is new to us and we learn something new every day!

How long should they wear the saddles?
As long as needed determined by the chicken owner. You may want to keep it on until their feathers grow completely back, or you may want to keep them on longer.
How long does it take for feathers to grow back?
It depends. Sometimes they'll start growing their feathers back within the first few days of getting the saddle and will take a month or so for the feathers to fully come back. Or, in other cases, they won't grow their feathers back until their next molt. It depends on when they lost the feathers to prevention and when their last molt was.
Additionally, if they do grow back, won't this just happen again,
Yes, unless you rehome your rooster or add more hens.
or is there a chance our rooster might simmer down a bit and not go after these two girls as much?
A rooster will always go after the best layers the most. Get more top layers to even the hens out better. The rooster should simmer down when the hens aren't laying as much like during a hard molt or retirement. Other than that, get more good layers. (Free ranging where the hens can get away from the rooster might be helpful, but if the hens really like their rooster, they may never leave him.)

When I had a hen with a bare back and then put saddle on, while it did help to protect her skin, it did not really allow the feathers to grow back.
When she molted, I separated her, and then put the saddle on to protect the new feathers once they had fully grown back.
Used like this, the saddles have been very useful, but IMO they don't do much once the damage is done.

My daughter-in-law made some chicken saddles for my hens. They often flip up, so I am wondering if they are thick enough. They are one layer of denim. The one hen has a very red back, so I guess it is flipped up more than down on her back. Any suggestions on how to get the saddle to stay put or what to do about the hen's red back. (We'll be adding 7 more 13 week old pullets soon.)

My daughter-in-law made some chicken saddles for my hens. They often flip up, so I am wondering if they are thick enough. They are one layer of denim. The one hen has a very red back, so I guess it is flipped up more than down on her back. Any suggestions on how to get the saddle to stay put or what to do about the hen's red back. (We'll be adding 7 more 13 week old pullets soon.)
These are my favorite saddles. They never flip up and do a great job.

https://www.amazon.com/DOWN-UNDER-OUTDOORS-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B089GJZL2G

Definitely sounds to thin.
The ones I bought that I have been very happy with are stiff, if you hold one from one end, the other end stays up, if that makes sense.
Maybe try adding some extra strips of material to it?? I don't know if it would work though...

The saddle is way too thin. I make my own saddles, and my first homemade one (my Mom actually made it) was too light and was always flipping up. I made one that was heavier, and I had no problems. My saddle has denim on top, fleece on bottom, and a piece of denim inside. It all weighs it down so it doesn't flip up. If you have a heavy duty machine, fabric canvas would be good.

I did get one of the DownUnder saddles. It is working well. However, we noticed that the hen with it is sleeping in a nesting box. We realized she may not be able to get up on the roosting bars with the saddle on. Has anyone else had that problem?

I did get one of the DownUnder saddles. It is working well. However, we noticed that the hen with it is sleeping in a nesting box. We realized she may not be able to get up on the roosting bars with the saddle on. Has anyone else had that problem?
I had six hens wearing those saddles and seemed to have no problem getting up to the roosting bars with them on. I didn't use the shoulder pads though. That might make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom