How long will a #50 bag of feed last for 12 laying hens?

Curjo

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 3, 2011
I know there's no exact answer but I would like a few guesstaments if anyone feels like chiming in. Let's assume treats are minimal and they won't get to free range that often.

12 hens will eat about 90 lbs a month if all they get is layer feed. I have 18 standards in one coop and go through about 80 lbs a month sometimes less. But my layers free range everyday. The ones in the growout pen go through 50 lbs every week... of course that is also 43 growing birds!

My silkie pen goes through about 50 lbs a month, there are 13 of them (plus one standard, just don't tell her she is different)

BTW
welcome-byc.gif
from MN!

Last edited:
I am a newbie, and certainly no expert but I can tell you my experience so far. I have 17 pullets of assorted breeds and since they were hatched on April 10th I have purchased two 50 lb bag of grower feed. I have about 30 lbs left right now. They are two months old. They have been eating about 30-35 lbs a month. I am guessing when full grown it will be at least one 50 lb bag of layer food a month. I am curious what more experienced byc's have to say.

I have 13 hens ages 1-2 years, all laying. They free-range all day on an acre. I've used 10 sacks of feed this year (50 lb sacks). That's about 2 weeks per sack or 2 sacks a month.

I have 23 chickens and they are allowed to free range all day and they also have access to their feed inside their coop.

I go through about 50lbs every two weeks.

hmm.png

I have 12 hens and go thru about 50 pounds a month.. but thier diet also includes vegetable scraps from home and work and lots and lots of weeds from around the farm.

Back
Top Bottom