How loud is a Pekin duck?

desertskynm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
Albuquerque
Hi everyone...

Still struggling with getting ducks....

I really like the idea of getting Pekins- but how loud are they?

I know it is subjective, but it is that they quack all the time but at low volume? (volume in the sense of a radio speaker turned up or down)

All the time at high volume?

Rarely but really loudly?

If in between, how would you describe it?

???

Thank you,
Misty

Last edited:
My Pekins are only loud when I walk out the door and they let rip for about 1 minute, they always think I have something to give them. After the initial Quack up a storm they all go quiet again and go around their business. My Jumbo Pekin sounds like a darn goose..she is LOUD!!!!

While my Pekins are loud, it's not an "all the time" loud. Ya know? My male is actually pretty quiet. He is very talkative, but's the usual drake raspy call and is soft. My hen is soooooo loud. However, it's only off and on through out the day, not constant.

She's always loud when I come out and say hi, and she is quite loud when she flirts, or when she is bossing around the other ducks. Other than that, she's not bad.

Peking ducks are just about as noisy more or less as other mallard derived duck species. All discussions as which mallard derived duck species are "quiet" or "noisy" are pointless.

All mallard derived ducks quack, just like all chicken males crow. You can split hair and argue, and discuss, and claim "mine are quite" etc. and ad nauseam.

The truth is all mallard derived duck species are noisy enough to be detected by your neighboors.

The only "silent" or "quackless" duck breed are Muscovies.

Muscovies by nature and design can not quack.

And since they can not quack, even if they wanted to quack they are silent whatever they like it or not.

So if you want "quiet" duck get Muscovies.

Thank you for your rational approach.

I am just trying to know ahead of time if the Pekin noise will cause my neighbors to hate me. Dog owners don't go through such torment I would suppose. (Could be wrong) People are forgiving more or less of an occasional bark.

Occasional quacks vs non-stop can't concentrate/hear the tv at night quacks.

I think my neighbors can handle the occasional- but it if it non stop then I might find my ducks missing and a really tasty smell coming from the houses near by...

M.

Quote:

I can't imagine any duck being so loud as to bother neighbors. How close are you to your neighbors?

Mine never complain, and seem to love my ducks.

My ducks hang out all around my house, right under my windows, and although I hear them from time to time, they are never bothersome. In fact I always smile when I hear their little quacks outside. I don't even think to a non duck lover they could be much of a problem. Unless you have "one of those" neighbors.

Oh, yeah, you get them riled up and they can really be loud but most of the time mine are just making little noises.
It is only first thing in the morning when they see me headed down to the barn to let them out into the pen do they get loud and later in the morning when I tell them they can go "sigh-sigh" (free range) that they can really belt out some noise. Other than that all my breeds stay fairly quiet.
Ducks are very smart! They learn words as good as any dog.
My Pekins aren't any louder than my Rouens, Campbells, Runners or Magpies.

Judy was first loud when we brought her home and she was being chased by stanley and daisy.. Then later loud when she was seperated from them.. After they got things sorted out she is very quiet.. Daisy can be loud when she is startled, or I don't let them out on time in the morning.. or if something is bothering her..I'd say 85 percent of the time they are quiet.

LOUD! but only my females are loud like that! my males are quiet! but only when theyre hungry or something do they sound like theyre screaming their heads off!!
fl.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom