How many chickens should I keep

I don’t think it’s “small” it’s actually one of the larger coups I have seen 😂😂 but I see what you’re saying. I wasn’t expecting 5 birds to be the answer I was thinking more like 13. I know several people who’d gawk over the size of this coup. It’s not one of those dog crate sized coups you’d buy at tractor supply after all.

I’ll see what we can do run-wise, even if that means letting them free range all the time. I don’t want them to not get enough exercise so I guess back to the drawing board 😂😂 I am attatched to these little suckers now so they ain’t going anywhere
Yeah. I understand attachment. I love my babies. It's why I suggested more coop space and not rehoming. Those measurements assume standard breeds. If you are keeping giants or bantams, they differ.

The generally accepted recommended MINIMUM space allotment for chickens is 4sq ft/bird in the coop and 10sq ft/bird in the run. But that's minimum, the smallest amount recommended, and if you have room for more its better for the birds if you can give them that extra space.

The run is big enough for 9 birds, but that coop maxes out at 5. You might be able to squeeze a 6th bird in there but it's really pushing it. I would cap it at 5 unless you can expand the coop without cutting into the run space.

That may be what you're hearing, but what people are saying is that you should par it down to 5.
“That may be what you’re hearing, but…” yeah I could feel the attitude coming through that screen gf. Ya need to tone it down. I made that comment sarcastically. I’m not getting rid of my babies. I’ll do what I need to do. I started a thread to get advice, not to be bashed.

Thank you and have a great day.

And those measurements are the minimum humane standards. Of course, large poultry enterprises don't adhere to them - and it's the reason I decided to do my own eggs.

I hate those tiny coops that advertise it holds 20 chickens - but is actually only humane for about 4. They shouldn't be allowed to market them like that. We bought one for our broody and her babies off Amazon. It was for four chickens. I don't think it's big enough for one imo

And those measurements are the minimum humane standards. Of course, large poultry enterprises don't adhere to them - and it's the reason I decided to do my own eggs.

I hate those tiny coops that advertise it holds 20 chickens - but is actually only humane for about 4. They shouldn't be allowed to market them like that. We bought one for our broody and her babies off Amazon. It was for four chickens. I don't think it's big enough for one imo
Oh yeah I don’t think so either. Those things are like milk crates for sure. My mom bought one like that when she first started out, let’s just say that thing ended up in the dump😂😂

Agreed. Run space doesn't appear to be the issue. You need 52 square ft if coop space and 130 SW ft run for 13 birds assuming no flock growth in the future
Just out of curiosity. Does the roosting bars not count in these measurements at all ? These things are LONG . I mean 5 birds could roost (full grown ) with space in between them comfortable . And that would leave 3 birds on the floor . 2 of the birds I have are olive eggers that are going to be small (legbar mixes )

Assuming they’ll use the bars and not all be crowded together on the floor… is that still not comfortable enough ?

Back
Top Bottom