How many duck eggs did you EAT today?

I remember eating duck eggs when we were growing up and I could always tell the difference. We had chickens too so not sure why mom was even cooking duck eggs. If memory serves me right some 50 years later, they seemed stronger to me. They were mostly Rouens and a couple of Pekins, that I remember.
Comparing the eggs of my dux to supermarket eggs from tortured chickens would be unfair: Those "eggs" are watery and disgusting.
I am trading duck-eggs with the neighbors for chicken-eggs here and there and if you compare the eggs from free ranging birds, there is not much difference in the taste. The egg aroma from both kinds of eggs is much stronger than from those fake eggs and the general taste is just better. - Unless you really like bland and odorless foods, then eat plastic sponges. šŸ˜
The only differences between dux and xicken eggs that i have discovered:
  • The dux eggs' yolks are relatively larger and i like yolks!
  • The dux eggs make bakeries much fluffier
  • It is way more difficult to fry a dux-egg sunny-side up because the white stands taller.

šŸ˜³No duck egg eaten today. Today's crazy weather robbed my appetite, i just had my tea...
we have thunderstorms this morning and again now . but i made a ā€œdutch babyā€ aka german pancake aka - my grandmother called it - ā€œorsh-tedsā€ im very likely spelling that wrong, but thatā€™s how it sounds. She was from Austria ā€“ Hungary., her recipe was six chicken eggs-one cup flour-one cup milk-1 teaspoon vanilla, Half teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar.
Then a half a stick of butter melted in her roasting pan, Pour in the batter, bake for 25 min at 425.
First, I doubled her recipe. Then I substitute nine duck eggs for the 12 chicken eggs. ( or 4 goose eggs )

I used two roasting pans and slice into 16 sections.
I ate one piece, therefore,today i ate 3/4 of one duck egg!!
C45D7B38-B580-41F2-BD14-3D9651C8DCFE.jpeg
844DA8C5-CF6C-40FB-8F74-DD35C8FC46C6.jpeg

we have thunderstorms this morning and again now . but i made a ā€œdutch babyā€ aka german pancake aka - my grandmother called it - ā€œorsh-tedsā€ im very likely spelling that wrong, but thatā€™s how it sounds. She was from Austria ā€“ Hungary., her recipe was six chicken eggs-one cup flour-one cup milk-1 teaspoon vanilla, Half teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar.
Then a half a stick of butter melted in her roasting pan, Pour in the batter, bake for 25 min at 425.
First, I doubled her recipe. Then I substitute nine duck eggs for the 12 chicken eggs. ( or 4 goose eggs )

I used two roasting pans and slice into 16 sections.
I ate one piece, therefore,today i ate 3/4 of one duck egg!!View attachment 3789491View attachment 3789493
Iā€™m going to steal all of your recipes and ideas! That looks / sounds amazing. I really love how one is trying to escape the pan šŸ¤£

Back
Top Bottom