How many duck eggs did you get today?

Pics
In N.E. Florida...woke up to 43° this morning but warms back up pretty quickly. Our coldest month is between late Jan to early Feb, only getting about 3-5 days in all of temps in low 30's
Screenshot_20221217_120913_The Weather Channel.jpg

In N.E. Florida...woke up to 43° this morning but warms back up pretty quickly. Our coldest month is between late Jan to early Feb, only getting about 3-5 days in all of temps in low 30's
View attachment 3351939
It's 30 degrees outside in Ohio right now. We are finally getting into some colder weather. It will be a high of 13 this coming Friday with a low of 5 F. My eggs will probably stop happening pretty soon but I still have my water glassed eggs to fall back on.

It's 30 degrees outside in Ohio right now. We are finally getting into some colder weather. It will be a high of 13 this coming Friday with a low of 5 F. My eggs will probably stop happening pretty soon but I still have my water glassed eggs to fall back on.
Wooooh weeee 😱😬 Glad you like it that much cause I certainly don't want that kind of weather. I'd freeze to death 🥶⛄

Water glassed eggs? What is that?

Wooooh weeee 😱😬 Glad you like it that much cause I certainly don't want that kind of weather. I'd freeze to death 🥶⛄

Water glassed eggs? What is that?
It's not that I like it. Just where I was born and stayed near my family all of my life. I found the idea on this site. You find clean duck eggs, (nearly impossible), I put mine in glass half gallon mason jar, mix distilled water with 3 T. of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime, mix the water and lime together with a whisk very thoroughly, pour into the jar filled with your eggs and seal with the lid. Store in a dark cool place, mine are in my basement in the closet that has our electrical box that we never get into unless there is a problem. You should double check the recipe in case my memory has something not quite right but that is how I remember doing it. You cannot wash the eggs as that will take the bloom off of them. They used to do this back when there were no refrigerators. They kept them for up to 2 years but the recipe I found said 8 months. I am sure you can google it. That might have done what I did when I saw someone on here mentioning it. I don't know if it has worked yet or not because I have not needed to get into them yet. I dated them on top of the containers and will use my older ones first. I did this over the summer when I had lots of eggs to get me through the winter as I eat two a day.

Hi, I had Muscovy hens in the past and now I have 1 khaki Campbell and I am not sure if she is well... Hoping someone here has had both. My KC is 6 1/2 months old, she has been laying for about a month now, and her eggs are smaller than those of the Muscovy and the shell seems more elastic than brittle. Not as thick, not as hard. Should I be worried about her calcium or are the shells supposed to be different?

Much thanks 💖
I do have both. I am not sure if my Khaki Hens are laying yet or not though. I have gotten soft shelled eggs before the cold set in here though and now they are smaller but more normal than what my Muscovy was laying. It is possible that the Khaki is young yet and the first eggs are always sort of iffy it seems. Mine get fed Layer feed, game bird feed, flock raiser and scratch grains, a scoop of each for my flock of 14. They have all stayed perfectly healthy so the diet has been good for them. No leg problems from any or illnesses. My Hens are 10 months old but it is in the 20's here in Ohio so I am not sure if it is my Muscovy laying or my Khaki. I have two of each. When I was getting eggs from the Muscovy they had more of a cream color to them but these are more white so I was thinking they are from my Khaki. I don't know which would be more likely to lay in the cold weather. My one Mallard is still laying too. Good luck with yours.

Back
Top Bottom