How many duck eggs did you get today?

Pics
So...about the same age as mine (going on 3). Maybe they'll start laying again soon. We processed all our old chickens, and are eating duck eggs we froze last summer, and our new chickens should start laying in another month and a half, but I really miss the duck eggs.
They are good, aren't they? 🥰

eggs1.jpg
3 of our 4 cayugas are now laying, and one actually lays the infamous black egg. Our khaki that we are baby sitting laid another one just after this as well.

I finally got 2 this morning!! One looks a little darker, feels slimy and had a little red, I think blood spot on the outside. Could this be a new layer? I only have 2 girls. The eggs were varying in the overall shape, so I thought maybe both were laying but just every other day or so. But now I'm not sure....is there a way to tell besides putting a camera up in their coop and spying on them? :D
20230130_072136.jpg

20230130_072332.jpg

They are usually the color of the egg on the right. I know they can have a "film" or extra "coating" on them, is that all this is? Sorry I forgot what you call that...

Bloom is what it's called. Could be a new layer. One way to tell who is laying is to put food coloring around the outside of the vent different color for each bird then when the bird lays the shell will have that color and you'll be able to tell who is laying.

Yes bloom, thank you! I knew I had read that word somewhere on here! That's a good option with the food coloring. Today would be a good day to do that since it's so cold, they are avoiding the water. I will put some on them tonight!

Back
Top Bottom