How many duck eggs did you get today?

Pics
My 2 muscovy hens, a year old are not laying. They have built a lovely big dual nest (to little hollowed out indents) and in the AM they are broody and I have to take them off of it or who knows how much of their day they'd spend in there. The drake is bored to death and I like to clear the coop out so I can pretty much shut the door (rodent control). Funny thing is when I got the girls from a farmer last fall they were each laying an egg a day and it took them a long time (maybe 1.5 months into mid winter) on maintenance feed (with no extra calcium, except for oyster shell) to stop laying.
Here is a pic of the two this AM. Often (on cold nights) the hen on the right (they keep their same positions) has her left wing over the other hen. The one who gets cradled has had an issue with wet feather but I think is progressively getting better. Notice how she (the smaller one with wet feather issue) has pulled the insulation off the walls to add to the straw and feathers? So efficient! Ha!
pic 39 is of drake, Jupiter, on his throne (shelf above the girls). The hanging ball is to deter them from drinking too much water at night (it seemed a game to see who could stall and drink the most before heading in), - the bowl is near the door. They tend not to want to go by the ball unless necessary and maybe not in the darkness of mid night.
I haven't started them on layer feed because I'm not sure how to give it only to them and not the drake.

Attachments

• P1010340.JPG
    P1010340.JPG
    649.3 KB · Views: 2
  • P1010339.JPG
    P1010339.JPG
    641.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom