How many duck eggs did you get today?

Pics
Two today, (plus one soft shell / eaten),

...but one of the two good ones was another monster!!!
20230715_205910.jpg

Last edited:
After a period of good progress with our Khakis starting laying - 1, 2, then 3 eggs daily - we are now down to a single one :( Can it have to do with heat? Around 34 C / 93 F lately.

The ladies (5 of laying age) are now 6 months old almost to the day. They roam freely in the orchard. They have 2 kiddie pools and 5+ additional small basins of water. The water is refreshed at least twice daily.

That I don't know mine eat oyster shell like it's candy.
I beat you by 1. of course my females are all much older and usually it's 2-4 eggs a day here out of 9 females that lay. My Muscovy are not laying they are 11-12 yrs old.

I'd keep oyster shell or some other type of calcium out for them all the times that way the can use it as they need it.

We have oyster shell offered at all times in a separate bowl, yes. They eat it or they don't, it's really very random. The pellets that they get (apart from grain) are very high in calcium about 5%. I guess there isn't much else to improve on except observe carefully to notice any patterns in how their day goes during high summer.

A lot of members talk about their chickens and ducks not laying during real high temps. They'll get back to it once the heat drops some to more bearable temps.
Most of my birds eat oyster shell sparingly[when they need them] seems my Runners are my piggies when it comes to eating a lot of them.

A lot of members talk about their chickens and ducks not laying during real high temps. They'll get back to it once the heat drops some to more bearable temps.
Most of my birds eat oyster shell sparingly[when they need them] seems my Runners are my piggies when it comes to eating a lot of them.
I complained on the forum and received 3 eggs again today. The power of BYC!

Zero and waiting, they say 6 months for these Khaki Campbell's, but I give it 4 months. Two months down, two to go...
It was 5 months for ours and they haven't all started yet. Probably depends on the genetic lottery, the food they're getting and the other activities they do - free ranging ducks will maybe start later, or at least become regular layers later. That's what my very brief experience seems to be saying and it seems reasonable. I like your avatar :)

Back
Top Bottom