How many duck eggs did you get today?

Pics
3 and the black snake got 2 of them. Evidently, he's hiding somewhere in the coop we have 2 lofts for storage so we're going snake hunting. I even keep this coop closed up during the day so it must have gotten in during the early morning since I leave the pop door open till the girls are done laying.

Me too I have tiny OEGB chickens in this coop
Oh No!!!! I hope that he got out of the coop and is gone for sure!!! I wasn't sure when you said he got out if you meant he left the coop for sure or if I was reading the wrong thread. Good luck in keeping everyone safe. I would hate to lose anything to a snake.

We had a snake hiding in our coop a few years back and I had 5-6 week old bantam pullets this snake tried to swallow it and only managed to get the head and neck in and killed it probably by constricting it first. I def want it out of there. Chickens are like in a trance when sleeping not like ducks where they tend to sleep with one eye open, So chickens are easy prey unless tiny ducklings.

We had a snake hiding in our coop a few years back and I had 5-6 week old bantam pullets this snake tried to swallow it and only managed to get the head and neck in and killed it probably by constricting it first. I def want it out of there. Chickens are like in a trance when sleeping not like ducks where they tend to sleep with one eye open, So chickens are easy prey unless tiny ducklings.
Can you bring the babies inside until you find it? I would have to do something so that it doesn't hurt any of them. Snakes are beneficial but not when they hurt our birds or steal our eggs. I hope that you can find it soon if you have not already.

I went in a looked around but I will not get on the ladder and look into the loft and have a 6' snake looking back at me, I'll let my dh do that. I'll catch one where I can see it if inside but I don't like surprises.

Years ago we had access to some free lumber that had been in a barn for years. My dh does not like snakes at all. We saw a snake skin and I convinced him it was just an old one. A few minutes later when he was about 8' high in the air on top of the lumber a huge black snake rose up and stared him in the face. He left his chain saw and flew out of there like Super Man!!! lol I had to get a long pole and hook it to the handle of the chain saw to get it back. That was the end of our free lumber. lol

Back
Top Bottom