How many duck eggs did you get today?

Still going strong at 6/8 eggs.

Last days of extended summer are forecast now with heavy rain to appear on Sunday after a month and a half of warm dry weather, followed by first the freeze on Tuesday morning.

Before that happens I still need to dig a gravel pit to serve as the ducks' watering area over the winter (all that water poured away daily... it has to drain) and collect winter squash and beans.

I have been feeding ducks some corn with their regular feed (layer pellets, oats, buckwheat) for two weeks and I think they fattened up visibly. Maybe it's just me not perceiving the situation clearly enough (molting is also in progress) but I do think that they reacted to the extra corn very quickly. So in case we really get noticeably strong weather we have an ace in the sleeve. Also a *lot* of sunflower seeds from this year's harvest on our field.

It’s that time of year again! Matilda is the only regular layer. Remi lays when she feels like it (once or twice per week). Goon2’s implant is working and she’s living a happy and hormone-free life. Goon1 is as broody and grumpy as can be, sitting on an empty nest, incapable of being anywhere near her sisters. Sooo, 2 today, but likely only 1 tomorrow if any. No one is molting. They should get to it as the first frost will be here soon, likely within the next week :(

Back
Top Bottom