How many duck eggs did you get today?

We actually have till end of Feb till we start getting sunshine ( north side of the mountain) no eggs here. I have a Muscovy in molt never have I had one molt this time of year!

It's not particularly cold, just above freezing, so all the rain and snow will just end up as the kingdom of mud. I wonder how the grass in the orchard will manage to grow back in the spring - I would imagine the ducks will snatch every green thing as it pops up... My guess is that the only cure for that is to allow them a large enough area to roam.

4 eggs today with 3 weeks to go until the solstice.

There is a local saying "na dan svete Neže se kuram rit odveže" - literally, on Saint Agnes day the chickens' butts become untied. So traditionally that's when chickens who stopped in the late fall would resume laying. That's a month after the solstice. I think our ducks will do OK as we are still at 50% productivity... even if it falls some more as we approach the longest night.

They don't lay in the nest boxes?
Not always, in fact they rather lay between the nesting boxes and these aren't square nesting boxes. They are half a oval and they go along two sides of the Waddle Wattle Inn, in the corner I put one nesting box at a 45° to where it's front corners are touching the corner of each row along the wall and they managed to wedge themselves in that corner that it makes to lay the eggs.
So essentially laying eggs in a triangle between nesting boxes and I think I know which one. Every morning there is this one duck that came from latest batch that I got in July, I open the door and in front of the geese which are usually first out is her. She is standing there with a smudge on her face like yeah I did that and guess what I did and runs out first with rest in tow all 49.

Back
Top Bottom