How many duck eggs did you get today?

Our 3 6mo old Muscovy ladies are pretty consistent at 2 eggs a day this winter. They eat a few peas from their water, but most are never eaten. I've read that egg production requires 22-30? days till laid. I wonder, if there's a cold snap, then that affects # eggs laid weeks later. Anyway, most we've asked if they'd like to try duck eggs, have jumped on our offer. I switched to Tucker Milling Show Flock "Layer 22%" pellets after Christmas; has niacin. Hmmm, 60 - 200 eggs a year. I think we're on track for 3 X 200 = 600 eggs this 2024 :p

Our 3 6mo old Muscovy ladies are pretty consistent at 2 eggs a day this winter. They eat a few peas from their water, but most are never eaten. I've read that egg production requires 22-30? days till laid. I wonder, if there's a cold snap, then that affects # eggs laid weeks later. Anyway, most we've asked if they'd like to try duck eggs, have jumped on our offer. I switched to Tucker Milling Show Flock "Layer 22%" pellets after Christmas; has niacin. Hmmm, 60 - 200 eggs a year. I think we're on track for 3 X 200 = 600 eggs this 2024 :p
Don't you have Muscovy? they won't lay that many they spend too much time wanting to brood. lol

What I mean is they will eventually go broody egg laying will stop till they are done brooding mine will even brood on no eggs if I take eggs up. They have such a strong desire to brood. Yours may not but this has always been with mine since I started with Muscovy in 2004. Even trying break them from being broody has never worked for me so I just let it run it's course which can take all summer, and I am not kidding, Here is one of my girls who thought even brooding on top of a bale of shaving was okay. I put the bale in where she was brooding but it didn't stop her. IMG_1772.jpeg

Last edited:
Think I got it. They think they are hatching eggs and just sit on their nests, eggs or no eggs, look like they are sulking, and stop laying while doing so? Kinda fulfilling their natural mamma role even though there's no drake. Can this start early, before spring?

""Not one egg under her."" :eek:

Last edited:
Usually around March mine begin mating I do have a drake. Then later on maybe April they begin wanting to brood. Last yeart my 2-12 yr olds laid eggs still I was very surprised one went broody so I gave her 2 runner eggs since my drake is also 12 and I have no idea if he is still fertile any way she hatched those 2 of course both drakes now they are almost 8 months old and my goose is being mama too them. It's a literal side show around here. :rolleyes:
Another time this same female went broody around May and no matter what I tried I could not break her she brooded until fall. Finally gave up on her own. Not one egg under her.

Back
Top Bottom