How many duck eggs did you get today?

I have two ducks, a pekin and a muscovy. They stopped laying clear back in late September. Then mid January, the muscovy gave me 5 eggs (which all froze solid during the -20 temps). Then she stopped and I haven’t gotten any since then.

Is this normal? I am really missing my eggs. I don’t understand why they stopped so early in the fall, nor why one would lay for a week in January, especially during that bitter cold spell.

When daylight wanes so do duck eggs. Once days start getting longer laying begins again.
what ages are your ducks that makes a difference too.
They are both about 2 years old. The mid January laying is what is most confusing. The Muscovy did that last year also, but she laid for several weeks before going on strike again. This January was only 1 week.

I had one of my Buffs start back laying during the awful weather back in Jan like Siberian temps. She laid for a week and then stopped. I have females from 7 yrs down to 6 months and right now only my youngest have just started to lay. Just make sure to feed them well keep oyster shell available and most likely you’ll be seeing eggs again soon. Plus when they get around 2 yrs and older they just don’t lay like they did when before 2 yrs although my one Muscovy who will be 13 in June laid 12 eggs last year surprised the heck out of me.

Back
Top Bottom