How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

12 eggs this morning, probably a few more when I get home. Lost a game hen today from illness, all the rest are healthy. Down to 17 hens. Does anyone else have trouble fitting their eggs in an egg carton? I have to cut the tops out of the cartons to get some of the jumbo+ eggs to fit.

Do you have any of the Jumbo size egg cartons?
I have a few of those and my jumbos usually ( but not always) fit in those.

11 eggs today. Eggs in the incubator go into lockdown tomorrow night!! Due to hatch on Friday!! Hopefully, I'll get some to hatch. I think I am down to 12 good eggs. I had a lot of clears! I think almost all of the ones I got from a fellow BYCer were clears as well as several of my own eggs. After I see what hatches, I will let the BYCer friend know how many clears I got. He gave them to me for free, so I'm not out any $ just bummed I won't get many, if any of his chickens.

:hit:hit:hit:hitfirst loss to predators today - a small crappy dog :mad:. His owner is a friend of our neighbours and she was lovely and came around with our neighbour and Edwina (my only Araucana hen :rant:hit) then we found Hermione the Warrior Silkie dead under a tree. She is lovely and is paying to replace them, she was in tears bless her and I was trying to explain that it was my choice to free range my flock as they are so happy and I know that I will have losses. She feels so bad as the dog is usually right by her and it was all so quick.

Not sure on my egg count, pretty good - maybe 9 or 10. Going to the 2 people I sold eggs to today to try to get back any blue ones I sold them and then will try to borrow an incubator or try to get my remaining silkie broody! Will shutting her in with some eggs get her going??

Do you have any of the Jumbo size egg cartons?
I have a few of those and my jumbos usually ( but not always) fit in those.

11 eggs today. Eggs in the incubator go into lockdown tomorrow night!! Due to hatch on Friday!! Hopefully, I'll get some to hatch. I think I am down to 12 good eggs. I had a lot of clears! I think almost all of the ones I got from a fellow BYCer were clears as well as several of my own eggs. After I see what hatches, I will let the BYCer friend know how many clears I got. He gave them to me for free, so I'm not out any $ just bummed I won't get many, if any of his chickens.
I haven't found any jumbo cartons for a decent price. I did see some on Ebay, but when you look at the last pic, they have extra large stamped on the inside like they are pulling a fast one. I got some on Ebay that are extra large .36 apiece with labeling. Then I saw some cartons at Race Brothers unlabeled for .25 apiece but not jumbo. Does anyone have a good source for jumbo cartons?

:hit:hit:hit:hitfirst loss to predators today - a small crappy dog :mad:. His owner is a friend of our neighbours and she was lovely and came around with our neighbour and Edwina (my only Araucana hen :rant:hit) then we found Hermione the Warrior Silkie dead under a tree. She is lovely and is paying to replace them, she was in tears bless her and I was trying to explain that it was my choice to free range my flock as they are so happy and I know that I will have losses. She feels so bad as the dog is usually right by her and it was all so quick.

Not sure on my egg count, pretty good - maybe 9 or 10. Going to the 2 people I sold eggs to today to try to get back any blue ones I sold them and then will try to borrow an incubator or try to get my remaining silkie broody! Will shutting her in with some eggs get her going??
Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully, you can get a few chicks going.

She is lovely and is paying to replace them, she was in tears bless her and I was trying to explain that it was my choice to free range my flock as they are so happy and I know that I will have losses. She feels so bad as the dog is usually right by her and it was all so quick.
Yes it is your choice to free range but the predators you should be worried about shouldn't include someone's dog ..... though I understand that dogs are a major cause of premature chicken death, including (if not especially) dogs owned by the chicken farmer.

I am really sorry you lost her, especially your sole Araucana.

Will shutting her in with some eggs get her going??
I wouldn't bet on it unless she goes broody every time the sun rises. But, it doesn't hurt to try. If she doesn't sit then back to plan A.

4 today. Heading to New Brunswick tomorrow to fetch DD1 from university. Should be a much higher count but I won't be hear to see it.

Back
Top Bottom