How many have had success with this?

moniquem

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 3, 2013
washington
52905766_2318668388143979_7415739611864891392_n.jpg

The jar on the right is wheat grass seed and the one on the left is lentil beans. I thought I would try and sprout my own greens for my girls! There sprouting!!!

I bet your birds will love those!

I've never sprouted greens before. Do you just buy a bag of beans from the grocery store or do they have to be something special?

I used to do that but all the rinsing is a pain in the ass.
Now I just put Rye seed or Sunflower seeds or sorghum and millet seed in the ground or in a tray of soil. No fuss, no slime.
The sun adds even more nutrients.
The cotyledons, or first "false leaves" on things like sunflowers are jam packed with the energy and nutrients that the plant uses until it can develop roots.

I use Winter Rye instead of Wheat because you get 10 times as many plants per pound of seed.

snowdaddy28.jpg

Do you just buy a bag of beans from the grocery store or do they have to be something special?

I had a bag of lentils left over from some soup I made and a bag of the wheat grass seed, rinsed them really well and they started growing. You can look it up on Pinterest. Since I only have 3 chickens I don't need much.

I had a bag of lentils left over from some soup I made and a bag of the wheat grass seed, rinsed them really well and they started growing. You can look it up on Pinterest. Since I only have 3 chickens I don't need much.

Thanks for the info!

There are a wide variety of seeds that can be used but there are exceptions.
Certain sprouts like kidney beans can be eaten but they have to be cooked first.

The conditions to grow sprouts are also ideal conditions to grow bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom