How many roosters to start with?

Pics
If your neighbors are okay with the crowing, get 1 for every 10 or 12 plus one more. They work better if they compete with each other.

If you like barred rocks, why not get all barred rocks? Your chickens will be purebreds that way, and deliver whatever traits you were looking for.

I recommend ZERO roosters unless you are planning on raising hatch-lings. 2-3 roosters is even way worse as that allows them practice fighting with each other. They tend to get meaner and take the fun out of visiting with your hens... or even collecting eggs, as you will always have to make sure they are not sneaking up behind you to attack. We started with 14 hens and three roosters. The roosters were welsummers,,, the hens welsummers, bard rocks, and australorps. The roosters will constantly challenge each other (and you) to see who is the dominate alpha. Seems they only work together when combining to attack me. As far as hen protection goes.. my experience is that my roosters are the first to skedaddle when chaotic danger approaches. They are also capable of tearing up the back of the hens when mating (we had to buy a couple of our hens protective saddles).
We paired the roosters down to one, and finally got rid of the last rooster a few months back. WAY more enjoyment visiting the hens these days, and my wife and kids can sit in the coop area without fear of being attacked.
I ended up not getting a rooster at all. I was originally wanting to eventually hatch some chicks but decided that if I wanted to get more chicks I'll just wait for one of mine to go broody and just buy a few chicks to put under her. So far my chicks (pullets) are doing just fine without a rooster. I may eventually add a rooster, but as of right now I feel like it isn't necessary.

Honestly, I had just read to many people having issues with aggressive roosters and I don't want my kiddos getting attacked by one, so I figured I'd just wait until I was a bit more experienced with chickens to add a rooster, but at this point, seeing how happy my chicks are I just don't want to disturb any of that.

If your neighbors are okay with the crowing, get 1 for every 10 or 12 plus one more. They work better if they compete with each other.

If you like barred rocks, why not get all barred rocks? Your chickens will be purebreds that way, and deliver whatever traits you were looking for.
I ended up not getting any rooster and am undecided if I will get one.

I would have loved to have went with all barred rocks, but my kiddos had other breeds they were also wanting. I am hoping in a couple years to build a second coop and run with only barred rocks, but I'm wanting to get the hang of having chickens first and also to make sure I won't be to overwhelmed having a second flock. Honestly, I am glad that we got different breeds though, it has been interesting and very entertaining watching them all grow and develop different personalities and looks, and just see them all stand out in their own ways. Plus it is easier to tell who is who.

I ended up not getting any rooster and am undecided if I will get one.

I would have loved to have went with all barred rocks, but my kiddos had other breeds they were also wanting. I am hoping in a couple years to build a second coop and run with only barred rocks, but I'm wanting to get the hang of having chickens first and also to make sure I won't be to overwhelmed having a second flock. Honestly, I am glad that we got different breeds though, it has been interesting and very entertaining watching them all grow and develop different personalities and looks, and just see them all stand out in their own ways. Plus it is easier to tell who is who.
They're noisy and some breeds are aggressive. Your barred rocks would be fine. Rhode Island reds are fine. Even the ones that are tame to you may be hard on each other -- if one of them is much stronger than the other he might kill the weaker one.

If you aren't looking for chicks it's just a headache and an ear ache and more cost. If you are looking for chicks there is a lot more to it than having a rooster.

They're noisy and some breeds are aggressive. Your barred rocks would be fine. Rhode Island reds are fine. Even the ones that are tame to you may be hard on each other -- if one of them is much stronger than the other he might kill the weaker one.

If you aren't looking for chicks it's just a headache and an ear ache and more cost. If you are looking for chicks there is a lot more to it than having a rooster.
Honestly, noise from a rooster really isn't a concern for me, I actually like a roosters crow and I doubt my neighbors would mind much. The biggest reason I haven't added a rooster to my flock is because of my concerns of aggression, I have kids and they are very involved with the chicks daily, but one of my kiddos has a fear of all animals and has taken a while to warm up to the chicks, and not be scared of them. Maybe in a year or two we may decide to add a rooster, but for the time being we are just enjoying the chicks we have and they are all happy. Another concern, as far as having a rooster, is I don't want him stressing any of my hens, I know they say roosters make a happier flock, but I see to many posting about having to buy saddles and take other precautions for their chickens because of a rooster. The whole reason I got chickens is for a hobby/learning experiences for my kids. I know I'm repeating myself, but we're happy with the chicks we have and just don't want to mess up the chicks happiness or cause my kids to be scared of chickens.

The thing is, you can have this hobby for years. I think waiting is a good decision.
You are absolutely right, I as well as my kiddos enjoy having chickens and plan to have them for years. When I first got them, I didn't realize how attached we would be to them.

Back
Top Bottom