How many times do ducks mate in one day?

JennaMadrid

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2022
I’ve just integrated my 4 ducks together and my large drake will not leave my female alone. He hops on her back every 20 minutes. Do ducks usually mate all day? Or is he being aggressive? My poor baby is being traumatized. 😩

I did have to cull my drakes because they were terrorizing my girls. It was sad, but I didn't want them to be so scared.

It’s only been 4 days of them together. I have like a dog run that’s fenced in, so even though they’re separated they can still be around each other. I’m hoping my Snow White powers will work!

I’ve just integrated my 4 ducks together and my large drake will not leave my female alone. He hops on her back every 20 minutes. Do ducks usually mate all day? Or is he being aggressive? My poor baby is being traumatized. 😩
what breed? 3 hens is really the minimum per drake, perhaps yours would do better with one or two more if possible? I would definitely seperate him for now, it will give your girls a rest

just a note for the future, you can house drakes and hens separately if you want to keep them.
I think everyone's set up is so different. In my case I ordered all females but received 2 males. Short of building a whole different coop, I really did try to make it work. I wasn't able to let my drakes free-range with my ducks because they were constantly chasing them down - so they spent a lot of time alone in the duck house, pacing the wall, quacking, and being miserable. It can be a tough balance to make the ducks and drakes happy without making yourself crazy along the way. I think it's great that people make it work, but in my case I wasn't really set up for it.

Back
Top Bottom