How Many Waterers do you Have?

How Many Waterers do you have out for Your Chickens?

• One

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Two

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Three

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Four or More

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

PenelopeRose

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 18, 2015
I have a shelf full of waterers that I've tried and didn't like and have now limited my waterers to two in the coop plus one pie plate in the yard for when they free-range (they have never run out of water).

How many waterers do your chickens have access to?

I live in a high desert climate with very low humidity most of the year. In the summer I have 4 or 5 separate waterers, but usually go down to two in the winter. That way if one runs out, there are plenty of back-ups.

They are all in the run, none in the coop, except for the food and water station in the grow-out box for the littles until they are integrated.

I have a hen hydrator hanging in the coop in case we are late in the morning letting them out into the run. In the run there is a plastic open pan (their favorite) that I change every day. Also a 3-gallon fountain waterer - Little Giant is the brand but the important thing is the screw cap that lets you control whether the water flows out. It sits on a brick pad.

In the winter we pour hot water into the pan to melt the ice. The other ones freeze up. It's a problem because no power to the coop. Keep meaning to try something with solar to warm a waterer.

just one (1gal) for 5 hens.. often will last 2 days unless it's a bit dirty then i'll replace the water with fresh water that same day

around noon, i'll put some ice cubes in to keep the water cool .

I also set some 4in thick bricks (in shaded area of the run)-- pour water on them and allow the bricks to absorb the water so the chickens can lie on the cool surface :)

I have one 5 gallon bucket with four horizontal nipples. I have six, five-week-olds, so I don't know how it's gonna do yet, but it's lasted three days now and still has lots left in it.

Nice idea w/ the cooled bricks!!

you can use a pan and put the bricks in and pour water on it. .that way the excess water will stay in the pan and not soaking into the ground

that way the bricks can stay cool longer from sucking it from the excess water in the pan

the downside is chickens will poop in the water. and you have to clean it out..

so scratched that idea and just use put the bricks on bare earth ground instead-- it's easier to just scrape the manure of the bricks instead of having to take them out of the pan one by one and clean wash them off then put them back..

provide shade and plenty of water should be sufficient

your chickens will get used to the heat soon or later

I've got a big covered run (used to be a carport) with deep litter on the ground. Chopped leaves, grass clippings, weeds, brooder bedding are all tossed in there. Twice a week I the summer I water it down and the chickens will dig down and lay on the damp ground.

Seems to work pretty well. Afternoon siesta time for the youngsters.

Back
Top Bottom