Pics

EasterChickens

Songster
Feb 20, 2021
Hello everyone, I know it's pretty weird of my-self to ask how much chicken scratch should i feed to my chickens but I really want to feed them the best/desired amount. I bought a bag of Dumor 6 grain chicken scratch at my local TSC (LINK to chicken scratch: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-non-gmo-6-grain-scratch-10lb-spbgn9991?cm_vc=-10015) and I was wondering how often I should feed this to my 4 chickens and how much? Should I also separate it from their daily chicken feed or put it with the feed?

Thanks,
Valerie

Hello everyone, I know it's pretty weird of my-self to ask how much chicken scratch should i feed to my chickens but I really want to feed them the best/desired amount. I bought a bag of Dumor 6 grain chicken scratch at my local TSC (LINK to chicken scratch: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dumor-non-gmo-6-grain-scratch-10lb-spbgn9991?cm_vc=-10015) and I was wondering how often I should feed this to my 4 chickens and how much? Should I also separate it from their daily chicken feed or put it with the feed?

Thanks,
Valerie
If ever, I scatter it on the ground for them to dig and eat. Scratch, which falls under "treats" should never take up more than 10% of a chicken's diet. So, since 4 chickens eat about 2 cups of food a day (roughly), 1/10 of that would be the amount of scratch to feed, which is not a lot at all. Scratch is not the healthiest. If you feed other "treats/anything apart from chicken feed" then the amount of scratch goes down.

If ever, I scatter it on the ground for them to dig and eat. Scratch, which falls under "treats" should never take up more than 10% of a chicken's diet. So, since 4 chickens eat about 2 cups of food a day (roughly), 1/10 of that would be the amount of scratch to feed, which is not a lot at all. Scratch is not the healthiest. If you feed other "treats/anything apart from chicken feed" then the amount of scratch goes down.
Also, do i feed them scratch daily? I have heard people feed them daily but some say to not. Which is the best? :) @cherrynberry

It's a treat, so my best use of any treat is to train chickens to come to you and/or return to their coop or run, and then they get their treat.

For 4 birds, something like 1-2 Tbsp a day for the whole flock is more than enough.
Also, do i feed them scratch daily? I have heard people feed them daily but some say to not. Which is the best? :) @rosemarythyme

Back
Top Bottom