How much feed does my outdoor flock really need in a day?

NinjaGamer2022

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
We have chickens both indoors and outdoors. We have chickens in a makeshift chicken tractor we move at least once per day. How much fermented/mostly fermented feed would ~30+ chicks (~2+ months old) need? I have been filling/mostly filling a 5-quart feed 1-2 times a day. Thank you.

~30+ chicks (~2+ months old) need?
As much as they want.. it should not run out. And it will increase daily or weekly as their body size does. Chicks don't overeat.. in nature they are grazers.

I did only FF for a flock of 82 birds full time for 2 years.. net result.. not a dime saved or an iota of flock health increased over feeding a standard balanced ration.. It's best IMO and experience as enrichment but otherwise mostly overrated and does not hold up to the hype.

Putting enough for the whole day at one time diminishes them thinking I'm bringing out a special treat and mobbing it.

Happy adventures! :wee

I found a manual from novogen, one of the largest poultry players in the world and they have all information about the quantity of feed x age of laying hens. Sound 120g per hen, per day (after POL)

We won't keep you from your coffee.

The advice above is very good, and I don't differ with any of it. The "thumb rule" for a typical adult chicken (not that any of us have a theoretically average bird in all respects) is about 100g or 1/4# ration of a complete feed per day. Offering it free feed, from mulltiple feeders, then trusting the birds to adjust consumption based on what they are able to tractor in addition is a very reasonable management practice, pursued successfully by many.

I'll add a bit of experience here, which you should take as anecdote, NOT data. My birds free range acres (flock in Signature, below). In some ways, its superior to tractoring, as they are less prone to dietary imbalance that way - they can select from everything growing in their range, not just whatever happens to be growing in the 100-200 square feet under the tractor. During the height of my growing season (and I'm very fortunate - lousy soil, but one of the most forgiving climates in the US - 8a, with regular rainfall), I can save about 35% off my anticipated feed budget.

I still check my birds for nutritional imbalance every ten days to two weeks, internally and externally, as part of regular cullings. The down side of free ranging is that I can't control what they are eating, either. There are times of year when they tend to put on a bit of extra fat - too many seeds coming ripe at the same time - and I continue to adjust my pasture in an effort to produce a better blend for them. It will be a lifelong effort.

The easiest ways to reduce your feed bill is to reduce your flock.

But another place to save, is to make sure is that there is not a lot of wasted feed. Feed that is billed out and spilled and then trampled and ignored.

Personally - I have a feed bowl for about every 5 birds, give or take, and they are set up so that a bird eating at one, cannot really see other birds eating at another. I do fill feed bowls every day, but not the same amount every day. I check at night, and if the bowls are completely empty, I feed a little more the next day. If there is feed left over, I feed a little less.

Surprisingly - the amount I feed varies quite a bit.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom