How much poop? Need answer ASAP!!

SeaChick

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Southern Maine
Hi all-

We're working with the city today on the new ordinance and I need a little info for them.
How much manure do you think 6 hens produce, relative to dogs? I guessed 6 hens = 2 medium dogs or one large dog. Am I on track?

And , of course, you can't compost dog poop!

If someone could answer this AM I would really appreciate it!

Many thanks
Stacey

I would say that my 4 adult chickens produce less poop than my dog does in a day. That is in the coop and when they are out in the yard. My dog is a large lab/springer cross. Not to mention, the chicken poop hardly stinks and the dog poop smell could kill a moose!! Hope this helps.
Kristyne

I think you could base it on bodyweight comparisons...an average hen weighs 6 lb...an average dog??? maybe 30 lb.

So the average hen would poop about 1/5 the amount of a medium size dog (or 5 hens = 30 lb dog). It's not a scientific comparison but for town officials should suffice.

Thanks for the answers... no one else has any input?

6 hens= 2 sm/med (or 1 lg) dog...???

I appreciate all the help. This has been a long ordeal with the city. It's looking pretty hopeful as we hammer out the exact wording.

Thanks again
Stacey
http://www.SoPoChickens.org

If it wouldn't be totally disgusting, I'd tell you to bring in a baggie of chicken poo, and a baggie of dog poop and ask THEM which one smells worse...

That said, hmm. Chicken poop is SO small. I have a hard time believing that my 10 poop enough in a day to equal my smaller dog (65lbs).. but I agree. The city officials are more likely to listen and accept in terms of weight vs. weight.

Good luck! I'm thinking if you are to this point then you are well on your way to a positive resolution!

-Meghan

There is no way my 7 hens make as much poop as my 70 lbs dog in terms of the amount that you need to remove. While they might produce the same quantity by weight, I have to hand-remove all the dog poo from the yard to prevent the death of my lawn, while I leave the bird poo there and it dissolves the next time I water my lawn.

I think my dog makes about 1 lb of poo a day because it takes us just over a month to go through 36lbs of doggie kibble. So that would make sense.

Therefore my 7 chickens at 6 lbs each would proportionately (assuming they follow the same digestional rules) poop out a total of 0.6 lbs of waste per day. This comes to just over 4lbs per week for the flock.

You wanted 6 hens, so that would be just under 4lbs poo per week. Similar to a single 30 lb dog, or two obese cats.

-MTchick

Thanks guys! Good info. I've forwarded it on to the city.

It goes to Planning Board this month, and then the public hearing early August. Thanks for all of your help!!!

Stacey

Back
Top Bottom