How much water?

animalsRawesome

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
How much water will a dozen pigeons drink in a day? Wondering what size container to get... A quart, gallon, two gallons??

It will depend on the temperature... warmer weather they drink more.

I would get the biggest water container you can easily pick up and clean out.

You can't have too much water for them.. and if you have to be away a couple of days you won't have to worry about them running out of water.

They need clean water every day, and smaller water containers will waste less water and space. My Birmingham rollers only drink half cup per half dozen birds, and that was flying them in warm weather long, but can be twice as much if flying them long in heat wave or when breeding. my others homers generally twice that much if not more, being up to almost cup per pair. What you feed and what area they have for exercise depends as well as breed etc.
I never use more than a quart to gallon container and fill more times daily if needed.

Last edited:
How much water will a dozen pigeons drink in a day? Wondering what size container to get... A quart, gallon, two gallons??

I water with a quart water and have 12 adult homers and never come close to running out of water. I change my water daily religiously. I will have to add more waterers as my goal is to have a flock of 50 flying birds.

Last edited:
@Hokum Coco and @laughingdog Thanks guys! This gives me a rough idea of what size I should start with.

Back
Top Bottom