How Much Would You Pay for a Glass Waterer?

if you do a bit of searching on ebay, etsy, craigslist etc you will run across glass waterers quite alot,, not just the small 1 quart size either,, quite often larger ones that acomadate 1 gallon size that thread in or just sit on top,, there were so many different ways of making things back then,, stoneware and crockery waterers show up quite a bit as well,,, stoneware and crockery often fetch a hefty pricetag, well into the hundreds,, but the glass ones you can get for fairly cheap,, like $5 - $10,, thats with a jar to go with it,, they just aren't as rare as a lot of people would like to think,,, i know because i collect them,,, just have a thing for vintage chicken stuff,, lol

if you do a bit of searching on ebay, etsy, craigslist etc you will run across glass waterers quite alot,, not just the small 1 quart size either,, quite often larger ones that acomadate 1 gallon size that thread in or just sit on top,, there were so many different ways of making things back then,, stoneware and crockery waterers show up quite a bit as well,,, stoneware and crockery often fetch a hefty pricetag, well into the hundreds,, but the glass ones you can get for fairly cheap,, like $5 - $10,, thats with a jar to go with it,, they just aren't as rare as a lot of people would like to think,,, i know because i collect them,,, just have a thing for vintage chicken stuff,, lol
I've paid up to $74.95 for a large (1 gal) glass waterer but it still had a plastic bottom which I want to stay away from (I justified the super high cost as "research" for my invention). There is no physical way to attach glass to glass so none of the vintage waterers had a top and a bottom that screwed into each other. I also have four vintage glass waterers of different sytles that accommodate a mason jar (of any size) but they have no stability (since the jar doesn't screw in) and have a very small surface area for the chickens to drink from. I've paid $14++ for those little vintage bases which don't come w/ a jar (no biggie since most of us have mason jars on hand) but have never seen anything for $5-$10.

Please keep your pricing opinions coming...thank you!!

Couldn't you have a rubber gasket between the 2 glass parts?
You could if the two pieces were of similar size but on the vintage waterers (the only glass waterer option currently available), the rim inside the base is nowhere near the size of the mouth of a jar. So you would have to create a new glass bottom, which is basically what I've done.

So back to original post: How much would you pay for a glass waterer? It's ok to say "$0" or "I would never pay for a glass waterer b/c I don't mind BPAs from the plastic or the rust from the galvanized steel leaching into my chickens' water"
yuckyuck.gif

I would pay $20 for a glass waterer. I don't know why plastic and metal are the only ones made now. Did you ever get your project into production?

I would not could not pay for glass waterer.. I love the idea and the innovation.. but for me the conventional waterer with the nipples in the bottom are providing water for my girls and in the extreme environment that we have here....and glass... maybe not for me.... I applaud the innovation and good luck with your thesis; however.. I am not afraid of plastics..

I live in the high desert, so anything less than a 1 gallon capacity would be worthless to me.

If it was big enough, I'd pay $25 plus, but it would need to be 3gallons or so.

I would pay $20 for a glass waterer. I don't know why plastic and metal are the only ones made now. Did you ever get your project into production?
Hi; thank you for responding.

No, the waterer did not go into production and it doesn’t look like the glass waterer is feasible. There are no longer any US manufacturers w/ capability to produce it. Mexico has the closest production facility but I understand that the glass isn’t great quality and of course, they are not known for timeliness – so Germany would be the best producer. There is a 40,000 unit minimum order quantity. When the cost of the mold / setup is factored in, along with import costs (taxes, shipping/container fees, customs fees, transportation costs, storage costs,etc.) and packaging, we are talking about an $800,000++ investment and the items would need to sell at $40+ to be feasible.

I am looking at a non-glass option that would still be BPA free and non-reactive and can hopefully be produced in the US.

I know this thread is old but I've been searching for a waterer that doesn't use plastic but isn't insanely expensive for a long time. Any progress? Ideally, I'd still like to use nipples as I think they are much cleaner. I've found one stainless steel waterer with nipples but it was insanely expensive.

Back
Top Bottom