How old are my chicks?

WMolinaroli

Chirping
Mar 25, 2022
How old are my chicks? And when can I stop using a heat lamp? I think they are 5 weeks old. The temps at night are in the 60s and the days are upper 70s, low 80s.
IMG_2544.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2545.jpeg
    IMG_2545.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2546.jpeg
    IMG_2546.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 6
Once they are fully feathered they can regulate their body temp. Your chickens are completely feathered and will be fine.

Breed matters with cold hardiness. 60 F is not cold even for cold intolerant chicks at that age.

As a comparison's on the extremes, personally I put cold hardy chicks (Marans and OE) in the coop brooder at 1 week old with heat plates and begin weaning heat by 3 weeks as long as they have feathers most everywhere minus the head; plate on at night. Temps have been 30-35 F at night, 40-50 day in the coop and they thrive- actually feathered out a bit faster I believe.
Pic is at 3 weeks old. They are wind sheltered, btw- very important in colder temps.
IMG_4983.jpeg
By 4 weeks now they are completely weaned from heat and prefer to be in the run during the day. This process also serves to integrate with the big chickens (see, no touch) through a divided run.

Perfect! Yes, the heat lamp was on a thermostat which we lowered each week. Now they are in a giant dog kennel doing the look, don’t touch with my 2 year old hens. I need to get some fencing to give them a safe patch of the run.
IMG_2561.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    950.2 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom