Moving Chicks Outside

Mikski

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2024
Hello! First time chick owner over here. I have a flock of 12 chicks, mixed breeds. They are all currently 3-4 weeks old. Temperatures next week are supposed to be mid 60s during the day, and low 40s overnight. Currently, chickies have happily been going outside during the day (covered/enclosed run w/access to coop - temps in high 50s, low 60s but sunny) but still sleeping in their brooder at night. Could I move the chickies outside overnight next week (4-5 weeks old)? They aren’t fully feathered yet, but rapidly getting there. I have the ability to run an extension cord and could put their brooder plate in the coop. Would that be necessary? If so, would I want the brooder plate vertical or horizontal? Would I want it on the brooder setting or the heater setting? Should I flip the brooder plate vertical in their brooder now? Sorry for so many questions! Eager to get the sweet (but stinky) chickies out of my house and into their permanent residence, but also want to make sure they will continue to be happy and healthy! Thanks!

I would put the brooder plate in there and let them decide what they do for a few nights. But yes I get stunk out and put mine outside around this time!
Thanks! Should I keep the brooder plate horizontal so they can burrow under it? Or mount it vertical on a wall or something? Also wondering if I should put it on the brooder setting or the heater setting? I think the heater setting is higher temps and meant to be used like a space heater whereas the brooder setting is meant for them to snuggle up against.

I never have buckled down and got a brooder plate. I only have a plated coop heater that stands up. I just plug it in and they sleep next to it. I do put bricks on it so it can't fall over. I would attach it to the wall if I could for sure!

I used to have a brooder plate (it failed with no indication or warning though).

There should be two settings: Horizontal, if your chicks can all fit under it, would be low wattage, I think 40W. Vertical, works like a space heater, using 400 watts, almost as much (or more) than brooder heat lamps.

If they have a big space, you could put it vertical. I'd put the whole setup out there during the day, then turn the brooder on low towards late afternoon so they get the idea that it will give them heat. Then put it on the higher wattage well before dark so they can get comfortable well before sunset starts, while they can still see.

12 is a decent number for body heat.

And, I always find a span of a few days when the temps are going to be warmer, or at least avoid putting them outside just before a cold spell.

I used to have a brooder plate (it failed with no indication or warning though).

There should be two settings: Horizontal, if your chicks can all fit under it, would be low wattage, I think 40W. Vertical, works like a space heater, using 400 watts, almost as much (or more) than brooder heat lamps.

If they have a big space, you could put it vertical. I'd put the whole setup out there during the day, then turn the brooder on low towards late afternoon so they get the idea that it will give them heat. Then put it on the higher wattage well before dark so they can get comfortable well before sunset starts, while they can still see.

And, I always find a span of a few days when the temps are going to be warmer, or at least avoid putting them outside just before a cold spell.
Thanks. That’s helpful. Next week temps look like they will be nicer (and another week of feathering). Which is why I was considering next week.

If I hung the plate vertical on the wall (and had it on the higher heat setting) would I want to hang it behind the roosting bars? Or maybe to one side so there is a gradient from warmer to colder across the bars? Like I said, I have 12 chicks and the coop is 6x6, so relatively good sized room. 10 of them will be 5 weeks when I’m planning to move them outside and 2 will only be 4 weeks old.

They also still sleep under the brooder plate (on the low setting) but don’t really ever go under it during the day.

If these are standard sized birds with normal feathering, they shouldn't need the extra heat at 4-5 weeks out in the coop with those temperatures.

You can put out the brooder plate for them to give them the option of using it if you wish, if that makes you feel more comfortable with the move out.

First time flock owner here with 5 lovely ladies and considering the same thing for similar reasons. We’re in lows of 50s and highs of 70s now and the majority of them at this point have really feathered out, hopping out of the brooder and lively as can be.

I imagine keep them acclimated to the coop with nesting boxes blocked as to not let them pick up the habit of sleeping in that space? Also keep roosting bars away for a bit until 6/7 weeks so they can get used to those and not potentially injure themselves?

Do y’all think that would be okay?

Was also reading somewhere to keep them in the coop for a several weeks before access to the run so they associate the space with home to come back and roost at night fall - picking up a good habit of returning to roost. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for the wealth of information!

Back
Top Bottom