How old can guineas be before they can free range on their own??

Mourningdove

Songster
11 Years
Dec 17, 2008
Cleveland, Tn.
I have 16 eggs in a friends incubator due to hatch on or about June 6th, I am hoping all if not most of the eggs hatch
fl.gif

So now I am wondering with my raising newborn keets about how old should they be before I am able to free range them? I want them big enough to survive on their own free ranging! Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
I don't know that this is THE answer, but I've always kept mine in a pen of some sort (with a covered top) until about 12 weeks old. I've had others tell me that if I let them out too soon they won't associate where "home" is and will just take off to never be seen again... or at least until the next time you drive by your neighbor's house and there they are on their roof.
tongue.png

Yeah they tend to be off like a rocket while still young. I wanted mine to be with the chickens for a while. If you do let them out dont let them all out at one time. I did have one at about 6 weeks get out and he came back to the pen daily to check in. I finally caught him. They can run fast as the wind.

I think 12 weeks is about right

Last edited:
That's right... I forgot to include that. Let just 1 out at first, then every few days let another out. They tend to not like being alone so will get used to sticking near the big group still cooped up.

Read this article . You should keep them inside your coop at least six weeks before letting them into the run, then another six weeks, and let them free range. It helps the first couple weeks that you practice herding them back into the coop at night, so they can get used to you doing it. I yell they same "IN" everytime, now I just have to say it once and the majority will run for the coop.

I think mine were in the coop and run about 6-8 weeks before I let them free range. They were about 3-4 months old by then. I was trying to find out from my blog but I can barely stay on line today. I think my blog is linked as my website under my name so you can check June of 2008 for better info if you want.

Back
Top Bottom