How old do my chicks need to be before....

Kimblee

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
I put them outside for good? they enjoyed spending three days outside... it was nice and sunny, they had siblings to nuzzle on, and lots of hay to hide under.... they seemed good.... but now all these threads mention a lightbulb for 60 days?
ep.gif

And it snowed, so I got my PJ-ed bum outside and started getting chicks inside and onto a heating pad (underneath their platic box... not directly on them) Two died outside (Apprently I wasn't fast enough, or they were just sick, because the rest seemed good) and I lost a third two days later. (That one WAS weak... but the feed store man said it was healthy enough to be with the other chicks.)

I feel almost like a bad chicken mommy.... but all of them are at least a week old, and I've actually lost more chicks INSIDE (Five have died inside, two outside) than when they are out in the sunshine. Is it safe for them to go out in the yard now? They are in a sheltered water tank, with losts of fresh hay and feed and water.

If not, am i going to have to get to work guilting my mother into buying a lamp? What kind of lamp? None of my other chicks have gotten a lamp.... We never knew we needed one.

At a week old, they need to be in temp of about 95 degrees. Can you bring them inside and put a regular lamp over thier box with say a 75 watt bulb in it? Do you have a thermometer? They reall need to be kept warm. I hope you dont lose anymore...so sad to lose any at all! You are not a bad chicken mommy...it happens to the best..some make it..some dont. Are they peeping loudly and huddling together? If so, they are cold. I dont like the heating pad, because it doesnt allow them to get away from the heated floor. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Kimblee,
Mine are just 4 weeks and still in the house. However I am waiting for it to warm up here as it snowed here too. Mine really need to be moved. Sorry to hear about your loss, and good luck with the rest of your babies.

How old are the chicks? I'm by no means an expert on the matter, but your chicks need to be in temps around 95 degrees first week of age, 5 degrees dropped every week after , until they have feathers(6-8 weeks). This was what was told to me anyhoo.Sorry to hear your loss, but good luck on the others.Hope I didn't mis-guide you...just passing info....

Quote:
Well, they have some good wing feathers, and one is almost fully feathered. (Little bit of down around her head, but everything else is covered.

I'm trying to figure our how old they are.... the biggest one is about a month old (I suspect, i;ve had it that long, and it was already growing wing feathers when i got it.) and the youngest must be about two weeks at the least.

Weird thing is... they huddle while inside, and cry a storm, but outside they explore and play.... I guess the metal bin their in must hold heat next to them, ebcause if I stand in it to feed them, it warms my feet.

Quote:
It sound shorrible, but the chick deaths aren't bothering me as much as they used to... I refuse to name them until they are sure to live.

Plus, I lost my beloved pet goose just a week ago, so i'm pretty numb. On the otherhand, as i said, i really think they must be warm in there, I don't have a themometer, or I'd so measure and make sure.... My feather legged baby ate a grasshopper out of my hand a minute ago. (I went out to check for huddling... they all seemed more interested in playing with the hay.)

Im still learning too, but they do need heat to grow strong.

Brooder lamps do not cost much. I bought mine for £13, but im told in the states you can get them for less than that in $. The best indication is if they are making lots of noise. I am just using a desk lamp for my chick as it is inside and next to a heater, and she's perfectly happy. I will be using the brooder lamp when she gets too big for her box, but could do with some guidance on that myself as to temperatures and what not.

Sounds like your chicks are differen ages which also complicates things as they need different temps...
hmm.png
Where were they ouside? In a coop?

Back
Top Bottom