How old should my baby chicks be before I play with them?

Audrey Watson

Chirping
Jul 11, 2017
My broody hen, a cuckoo maron named Pajamas, just hatched her first chick out of 6 eggs! She has never hatched before but she has already successfully raised two flocks of chicks. My question is this: How old do the chicks have to be before I start handling them?

I like immediately. Gets the chick accustomed to you. Hatchery chicks are handled from the start.

How tame is Pajamas & will she cooperate?

I handle my broody-hatched chicks as soon as they are dried off and are out from under mama hen on their own, which is usually within 24 hrs of birth. The caveat is that you don't want to be messing with the broody if there are still unhatched or hatching eggs under her. It will upset her and lifting her off the eggs to reach under lets the warmth and humidity out.

My broody hen, a cuckoo maron named Pajamas, just hatched her first chick out of 6 eggs! She has never hatched before but she has already successfully raised two flocks of chicks. My question is this: How old do the chicks have to be before I start handling them?
As soon as they get their walking legs! Which is normally day 2 or 3.. The first couple of days the chick should be under the moma...

I like immediately. Gets the chick accustomed to you. Hatchery chicks are handled from the start.

How tame is Pajamas & will she cooperate?
She is friendly enough and she won't hurt us, but she still won't tolerate a lot either.

Back
Top Bottom