How should I wash my dirty quails? I know it sounds strange :(

Umm, don't quail fly? I'm surprised ya'll would take them to the bath tub and let them play... how do you catch them again?

Umm, don't quail fly? I'm surprised ya'll would take them to the bath tub and let them play... how do you catch them again?

Y'know, mine don't really fly much. They would rather jump really high or run away. I don't know if it's just my quail or what.

I agree with James, I feel like they can be harmed with something too harsh. If it were me, I would just use a little bit of Ivory (I have to use this kind on my skin) or mild bar soap to be safe. It should get them pretty clean.

Y'know, mine don't really fly much. They would rather jump really high or run away. I don't know if it's just my quail or what.

I agree with James, I feel like they can be harmed with something too harsh. If it were me, I would just use a little bit of Ivory (I have to use this kind on my skin) or mild bar soap to be safe. It should get them pretty clean.
Oh i forgot about Ivory! It is an excellent livestock soap! It whitens well without harsh chemicals! I use Ivory on my pigs.

When you have white quail, it is inevidible they will get dusty. I would recommend to NOT wash them or get them wet. Just like the movie "Gremlins" you do not want to get them wet, why? you are exposing them to cooler temperatures and their body will not warm up as fast, thus you will chill them. A chilled quail is a dead one. When a quail gets cold they will lose their metabolism and stop eating all together.

Quail will molt at least twice a year, once they molt they will look beautiful again. Keep your quail happy with enrichment and let them dust bathe. They will thank you for it. The stress of bathing them will kill them. Quail are not chickens after all. They are their own category.

-Alexandra

When you have white quail, it is inevidible they will get dusty. I would recommend to NOT wash them or get them wet. Just like the movie "Gremlins" you do not want to get them wet, why? you are exposing them to cooler temperatures and their body will not warm up as fast, thus you will chill them. A chilled quail is a dead one. When a quail gets cold they will lose their metabolism and stop eating all together.

Quail will molt at least twice a year, once they molt they will look beautiful again. Keep your quail happy with enrichment and let them dust bathe. They will thank you for it. The stress of bathing them will kill them. Quail are not chickens after all. They are their own category.

-Alexandra
Sounds like well informed and sound advice. Given Alexandra's expertise with these birds, I wouldn't bathe them.

i'd stick with alex on this one. If anything let them do it themselves with a nice dust bath in the coop. You can swap out the sand everyday if you wish that way it doesn't get poo and other dirt in it(i use to buy children sandbox sand at the home depot, birds love it).

1000yearoldeggs, my quail don't fly much either. Quail are ground birds. They rarely fly and don't even roost up high if they don't have to. I heard about a guy who made this amazing coop for his quails and made the mistake of putting it up off the ground. The birds slept under it and would never use it.

As far as bathing goes, I understand wanting your birds to look nice. It's fun to show them off. They are unique pets. I would try playground sand first and see what that does for them. They love to dust bathe and if it's clean sand it gets the poop off their feet and feathers. They love it. If you're going to take it a step further I wouldn't use anything that wasn't edible unless you were sure you could keep them from drinking it. Apple cider vinegar or buttermilk honestly sound like great suggestions. Buttermilk is a really great moisturizer for the skin. I wonder what it would do for their feathers. Maybe water it down. I've tried 2 cups of buttermilk in a bath and it made my skin so soft. It seems like it would be a safe choice for your birds, too. Sometimes when I look at their skin it looks so dry and flaky. Seems like buttermilk would be good for them. Although, I've never tried it. Maybe Dr. Bronner's soap would be safe for them??? You can brush your teeth with it!

James The Bald, that's so cute that they actually bathed themselves in the tub like Robins in a bird bath! I have often wondered what they would do in water.

I think as long as you towel dry them well and then either blow dry them or put them under a heat lamp after they will be fine. People wash their birds for shows and fairs all the time. Here's a video of a lady washing a bantam chicken on youtube:

Good luck!

i'd stslightly reddish lex on this one. If anything let them do it themselves with a nice dust bath in the coop. You can swap out the sand everyday if you wish that way it doesn't get poo and other dirt in it(i use to buy children sandbox sand at the home depot, birds love it).
I use this play sand but it gives my A&Ms a slightly redish color.

going to go with no bathing of the quail also...

right now our quail are ready for spring they are all looking good and bright with a fresh coat on

how long does it last? not very long, the snow white ones will be orange here shortly lol
enjoy it while it lasts

Back
Top Bottom