How to calculate how much eggs are costing?

Pics
Want to point out if a person was actually partaking of a business and filing tax then you'd take into account depreciation of coop and equipment. Or in other words the yearly percentage of replacement cost as eventually you need to replace. Equipment cost is a lot. Replacement or repair of a coop adds up. A business has to show all this loss. Would be crazy not to. That's real money needing to be reinvested in future installments. It's not profit and you don't pay tax on depreciation.

For my hobby I just sell the few extra dozen at market price. It works out to double the bedding and feed costs that go in. For example on first page a posting used bad math but had figure of $37 per month costs for 400 eggs- that's actually 37/400X12= $1.11 per dozen. I'm closer to 1.50 costs and sell for $3 a dozen.

Last edited:
Until you sell then you get taxed on the "recovered depreciation".

Sell what? A rusted out water dispenser or rotted coop? A heated dog dish or electric fountain only last two years and must be replaced when failed. I'm talking about equipment that fails or needs repair. Which is everything we purchase for keeping chickens other than bedding and feed. The only equipment I can think of selling that is still functional is an incubator when you upgrade.

I was thinking only of the coop @Egghead_Jr. If someone builds a hoop coop, right, it won't be worth much in 20 years. But if they built a solid freestanding coop, that could last for decades. I guess I'm more thinking about someone selling their property with a depreciated coop, not selling the coop itself.

Instead of going by week I go by 'bag cycle'...how long it takes them to go thru a full bag of feed.

I've kept a spreadsheet file for the 4+ years I've kept chickens.
Luckily I am fairly good with spread sheets,
tho there were some adjustments at first to get it to do what I wanted.

I do daily egg count on one sheet with cost of feed,
calculating number of eggs collected for the duration of feed bag consumption.
Another sheet has eggs sold, using same duration of time.
Money collected for sales is linked to first sheet,
which gives me profit or loss based on feed/egg sales for each bag cycle.

Another sheet I record all supplies and other purchases/sales of birds and just eyeball annually. I came out $40 in the hole last year, but egg sales cover feed annually.
I do not figure in cost of coop/run, incubators, brooders...that's the hobby part.

View attachment 1266384
Hello! Would you mind sharing this spread sheet with me? Thank you in advance! [email protected]

Hello! Would you mind sharing this spread sheet with me? Thank you in advance! [email protected]
I use a free app called Count my eggs. You put in purchases as you go and eggs you collect every day and it tells you how mich your eggs cost. Also keeps track of income.

It also lets you take pics and keep track of your flock. Individual chicken profiles keep track of breed, Hatch dates. General notes etc.

Last edited:
I use a free app called Count my eggs. You put in purchases as you go and eggs you collect every day and it tells you how mich your eggs cost. Also keeps track of income.

It also lets you take pics and keep track of your flock. Individual chicken profiles keep track of breed, Hatch dates. General notes etc.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom