How to compromise over pets?

My Pretty Pekins

Songster
Apr 25, 2019
Somewhere in the English Countryside
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

I've finally got permission to buy rabbits. My parents, however, have different ideas to what I do. I want to adopt; they want me to become a breeder 'to make some money back'. I want to abide by the RWAF recommendations of 60 square feet for the trio of neutered females I am interested in. They, however, don't see quite why a cage in the garden won't do - after all, it's what most people do.
They are, sadly, typical of so many people I know. Why won't a hutch do, they ask? They have told me I am taking the whole thing way further than they ever thought I would. In fact, they seem to be losing enthusiasm on my getting rabbits. Here's the thing: I know I'm going to have to compromise somewhat, or I may be refused permission after all my preparation. However, I don't want to compromise on quality for the rabbits.

One idea I had was that I could, in time, become a (registered, don't worry) breeder, and so I partially cover the expenses - in which case I've said that this once I want to adopt so I can get used to owning rabbits. There are other reasons, of course, I just think for now I'd be best keeping them to myself. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Hello been there, done that. All the things you said sound good, I don't really have any suggestions except for maybe get some experts opinions and show your parents that you're not crazy and that rabbits really do need that much space.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Thanks for the encouragement. Hm... I have actually (with permission) contacted the rescue centre who - fortunately for the rabbits - don't adopt unless they'll be getting at least 60 square feet, which is a great excuse. If they come back liking the idea, well then that should be enough. If not... I hope I'll still be able to get them. I don't think they anticipated just how much work rabbits are. I, on the other hand, have wanted them for over 5 years and in that time have learnt a lot about them - and the misconceptions.

Since you will be new to this, compromise with your family as a beginner. This will show them you are serious. Start out small and build from there.
Maybe when they see your dedication, they will become more supportive of your plans and you will get your bigger better set up. Take baby steps first. Good luck!
Thank you for the advice! I'll give it a try; and hope it works

Since you will be new to this, compromise with your family as a beginner. This will show them you are serious. Start out small and build from there.
Maybe when they see your dedication, they will become more supportive of your plans and you will get your bigger better set up. Take baby steps first. Good luck!

I agree completely with this.

As a parent, I need to see the commitment to the "project" first, BEFORE I sink lots of time and money into doing it "better". Start out small and affordable, and you can easily build from there.

Our children started out with 3 young market wethers that we kept in a 16x16 drylot with a shelter that was open sides and a tarp for a roof.

Within 6 months we knew the kids were serious, and we now have 2 acres in pasture with 10x12 shelters, a 1/4 acre buck lot with it's own 16x24 barn with 2 stalls and space to store 4 tons of hay. And the 30x70 horse barn has been converted down one side into 5 kidding stalls with heat and heated water. Our herd numbered 22 goats at one time, but we scaled back to 13 when our oldest graduated and started college.

Include your parents in this, encourage them to hang out with you when you do your rabbit "chores". Not necessarily help, but just be present. The memories I have made with my kids while hanging out with them in the goat barns are PRICELESS.

I agree completely with this.

As a parent, I need to see the commitment to the "project" first, BEFORE I sink lots of time and money into doing it "better". Start out small and affordable, and you can easily build from there.

Our children started out with 3 young market wethers that we kept in a 16x16 drylot with a shelter that was open sides and a tarp for a roof.

Within 6 months we knew the kids were serious, and we now have 2 acres in pasture with 10x12 shelters, a 1/4 acre buck lot with it's own 16x24 barn with 2 stalls and space to store 4 tons of hay. And the 30x70 horse barn has been converted down one side into 5 kidding stalls with heat and heated water. Our herd numbered 22 goats at one time, but we scaled back to 13 when our oldest graduated and started college.

Include your parents in this, encourage them to hang out with you when you do your rabbit "chores". Not necessarily help, but just be present. The memories I have made with my kids while hanging out with them in the goat barns are PRICELESS.
Oh, thank you so much for replying. It's really helpful to get a parent's perspective on this. I can see now what you mean by that - and I'll certainly have to see how I can keep things simple for this.

If the reason they want you to become a breeder has to do with money:

If you have some money of your own, you could offer to pay for the rabbit project yourself. Your money, your choices. (As in, don't need to try to make a profit.) Possible sources of money include: allowance, birthday gifts, payment for chores, a job. If you have a college fund--do not suggest using that.

If your parents will be providing all the money, work out a proposed budget for both ways of doing it (your way, vs. breeding/selling). Show how much profit/loss there is each way.

--Pregnant and nursing females need to eat more than non-pregnant ones.
--Bunnies need to eat some amount of food before they're old enough to sell.
--Breeding does and bucks will need individual housing, while spayed does may be able to share housing. Weaned bunnies may also need to be housed separately from their mother at some point before sale.
--Does may be unable to breed and raise bunnies during the heat of summer or the cold of winter, depending on your climate.

Sometimes the cost of breeding is enough higher that selling the bunnies still leaves a loss--check the numbers to be sure.

About hutch vs. other housing: again, try checking the costs either way. If their complaint is about cost, and if your way would not cost any more, then you may be able to please everybody. If their complaint is about the space it takes up, then of course you'll have to tackle that matter differently.

Note, some people are quite impressed with numbers and logical points, while others dislike them. I don't know your parents, so I cannot tell what will convince them. I am suggesting what might have worked with my parents, or with me if a child of mine was discussing this.

If the reason they want you to become a breeder has to do with money:

If you have some money of your own, you could offer to pay for the rabbit project yourself. Your money, your choices. (As in, don't need to try to make a profit.) Possible sources of money include: allowance, birthday gifts, payment for chores, a job. If you have a college fund--do not suggest using that.

If your parents will be providing all the money, work out a proposed budget for both ways of doing it (your way, vs. breeding/selling). Show how much profit/loss there is each way.

--Pregnant and nursing females need to eat more than non-pregnant ones.
--Bunnies need to eat some amount of food before they're old enough to sell.
--Breeding does and bucks will need individual housing, while spayed does may be able to share housing. Weaned bunnies may also need to be housed separately from their mother at some point before sale.
--Does may be unable to breed and raise bunnies during the heat of summer or the cold of winter, depending on your climate.

Sometimes the cost of breeding is enough higher that selling the bunnies still leaves a loss--check the numbers to be sure.

About hutch vs. other housing: again, try checking the costs either way. If their complaint is about cost, and if your way would not cost any more, then you may be able to please everybody. If their complaint is about the space it takes up, then of course you'll have to tackle that matter differently.

Note, some people are quite impressed with numbers and logical points, while others dislike them. I don't know your parents, so I cannot tell what will convince them. I am suggesting what might have worked with my parents, or with me if a child of mine was discussing this.
Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response. To be honest, I have always dreamed of breeding rabbits some day, but learning about the thousands of people that would quite happily leave one of my rabbits in a tiny hutch all day and think it's perfectly okay has kind of rubbed off some of the rosy tint. I'm not sure if that makes any sense at all!

And yes, I would quite probably be paying for a lot of this myself anyway. I have a regular 'income stream' from pocket money, birthday money and also money I earn through selling crafts in an Etsy store I own. The idea of the budgeting is certainly an interesting one... though I do think my parents would still argue breeding is better because I'm at least getting some of my money back. Thing is, with me, that's really not the point. Still, I'm talking about compromise here and it may be that that is what's needed.

I don't think space will be too much of a problem; they've offered for me to take over our old playhouse which is about 60 square feet, which would be great, and Dad will be able to help me build a run of at least 18 square feet directly attached to it. So that, at least, should be okay.

I will raise your points tonight; and see what happens. Hopefully I get a good outcome!

Back
Top Bottom