How to cull a rooster when you don't want too?

Pics
We are fortunate and blessed to have a family of Mennonites not far from us. DH and I tried our hand at processing some cockerels when we first got into chickens about ten years ago and quickly discovered that we are not good at it, nor are we likely to become proficient, ever. So we take our cockerels to Mrs. W, who does an efficient job of it for $2 a head.

Omg he’s so stinkin CUTE!!!! I want to keep one in the house lol haven’t found the right diaper… I had my Seramas inside when they were too little and it was cold out.

I hate knocking off excess roosters or ones that have attacked my kids, too.

After a very emotionally upsetting incident where I learned that "wringing a chicken's neck" doesn't actually kill the bird, I decided it was less cruel to set the bird loose where my eat-chickens-that-hop-the-fence dogs could get it. I chain the dogs up, set the chicken where they can get it once free, and let them loose. I know it seems cruel to kill it by letting dogs get it, but really, no "crueler" than the bird of mine killed by a hawk, and definitely better than my attempt at killing one with my hands...
No ,it’s way crueler what your doing . I’m appalled by what I just read . You are your chickens protector and they gave you food . Take the time to look up humane ways to cull a chicken . 😡😤😢

Back
Top Bottom