How to deter bobcats?

chickenlady8

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
I lost all but one hen to what I think was a bobcat. I had 3, then one morning had only two and one severely injured and a hole about 4 inches diameter pulled on the edge of a chain link fence. I repaired the fence (it was a strong booger - I'm assuming bobcat due to the size and no carcass anywhere)...and figured the injured hen wouldn't last long but seemed happy to be with her buddy in the coop. The next morning another hole stretched in the chain link and the healthy chicken gone. I brought the injured one inside and she has since recuperated miraculously! It's been 2 1/2 weeks and I would like to move her outside and get a friend or two but am worried about the bobcat returning. Any ideas???

Quote:
I agree
thumbsup.gif

sorry for your losses
hugs.gif

You do have a trap, don`t you? Everyone who keeps chickens needs a trap and a gun. I agree that it doesn`t appear to be the work of a bobcat. As mentioned, a cat would be more likely to go over the fence, rather than through chain link. However, quibling about the type of predator won`t change much. Ya gotta catch the perp. Since being there when it strikes is highly unlikely, set your trap. Chances are good that, after 2 1/2 weeks, the critter has moved on, but maybe not. You cannot discourage predators without a dog, so set your trap. Merry Christmas.........Pop

You all suggest the predator went over a fence, but the coop/yard is totally enclosed and both instances I could see where the animal entered...at ground level and the hole was not more than 4 inches in diameter! The critter had to be strong as well - the chain link was hard to move. And no sign of the chickens I could find on our property at all other than feathers and blood at the hole where the predator entered. I live in a rural area at 5000 feet elevation in so cal on 2 1/2 acres. I guess it doesn't really matter what the animal was; other than to outsmart it! I don't have a trap, but do have a large dog. She had been barking a lot at night and the chickens were broken in to when we had locked the dog indoors to keep her from being a nuisance. I'm sure she was protecting the chickens in hind-sight.
I'm installing christmas lights around the outside of the coop and putting hardwire around the chain link areas. I found it interesting that the predator entered through the chainlink area instead of plowing through the sides which are only covered with chicken wire! We have a concrete base around the whole coop/yard to discourage diggers which is what we thought we might have a problem with.
Thank you all for your thoughts...any others?

Quote:
I don`t think anyone said the predator went over the fence, rather that a bobcat would be more likely to scale the fence as opposed to tearing though the wire. One certainly could have torn through, but it`s hard to believe that anything could do that. Obviously something can. As I suggested, get a trap. Christmas lights may let you see it and may not. Lights do not hinder predator efforts. That is interresting that the chain link was the entry points and not the chicken wire. If the predator is still in the neighborhood, you will need a trap. They are cheap insurance and worth every penney.......Pop

the hole was not more than 4 inches in diameter!

An adult Bobcat couldn't fit through a hole that size.
A skunk could and a Fox could

How much is left of the birds?

A full grown chicken won't go through that hole either​

Last edited:
Those who use it say that electric fence is a good deterrant. I don't have it around my chicken coop or run, but we do use it around our sweet corn to keep the coons and deer out. We run several strands. Starting at about 3" off the ground, to around 12" to 24-36". I defnitely made a difference. A couple of strands would keep the ground-sniffers and possibly the climbers at bay.

Quote:
Coon.

x2. And strongly agree with bobbi-j about using hot wire. Especially in an area with so many predators. Run a few strands around the bottom, another one along the top. It is a huge deterrant, we've used it for years. You can even run a few strands on T posts set out from your coop and run to deter larger things like dogs, bears, big cats.

Back
Top Bottom