how to heal large wound on turkey

ekatherine

In the Brooder
May 20, 2016
Today i found a large open wound on my turkey hen, it was on the eft side near her hip, I washed the wound with iodine solution and separated the hen from others.She keeps pecking it .i dont know what else to do.Please give me an advise, i feel hoorible.

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

How is your turkey?

Try to keep it clean and apply some triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn to the wound. If she is picking at it, you may need to try to cover it with some vet wrap or a saddle.

Let us know how she's doing.

She is doing better :), her wound is closing up slowly, i tried to apply iodine and she ate it,i don't want to close the wound since she stopped picking and When she comes out for the walk she exposes her wound to fresh air and the sun.I bet i won't have better luck with triple antibiotic.... I l still try to apply it perhaps tomorrow......

She is doing better :), her wound is closing up slowly, i tried to apply iodine and she ate it,i don't want to close the wound since she stopped picking and When she comes out for the walk she exposes her wound to fresh air and the sun.I bet i won't have better luck with triple antibiotic.... I l still try to apply it perhaps tomorrow......
If it's healing well, then you may not need to apply anything at all. It's possible she may eat the ointment as well
hmm.png
but maybe it will be "icky". I agree, it's best to let air to the wound.

I'm glad that she is improving. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom