How to identify different types of mites?

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
Hey all, we have battled poultry lice on and off for awhile now. We finally managed to get it under control by cooping our chickens instead of free ranging. I assume the wild birds were bringing them in. Well now i was out cleaning the coop on sat and noticed a bunch of red mites crawling around in our coop. Only under the hay etc. Not in plain sight. I had a broody in there who stopped setting. I assume this is why. I haven't found mites on my chickens and we live in northern California. I've lost a few chickens over the last few months with no explanation why. Waiting for results on a necropsy but suspect this may be the cause. How do i know what kind of mite I'm dealing with and how to treat it? These looked tiny and red but their were lots of them. I dusted the coop in sevin dust. I fear this is a severe outbreak. How do i get rid of these things? Also I'm almost 7 months pregnant so it needs to be something i can do myself. Thanks for any and all help!

I would get some Permethrin 10% concentrate from your feed store (there are several brands) and they mix many gallons. A hand sprayer bottle is handy to use. There are 2 main types of mites--the northern fowl mite which can be found on them all day long, and the red chicken mite that only feeds on them at night. Mites must be treated every 7 days for several treatments to get the eggs as they hatchout. The coop bedding must be removed far away or burned. Clean bedding put in after the coop, nsts, and roost have been sprayed. Avid straw or hay that may harbor mites, and get into crevices with the spray where they hide. Here are 2 good articles that have good pictures and advice.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
http://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

51krfgubz3L._SY679_.jpg

Last edited:
I would get some Permethrin 10% concentrate from your feed store (there are several brands) and they mix many gallons. A hand sprayer bottle is handy to use. There are 2 main types of mites--the northern fowl mite which can be found on them all day long, and the red chicken mite that only feeds on them at night. Mites must be treated every 7 days for several treatments to get the eggs as they hatchout. The coop bedding must be removed far away or burned. Clean bedding put in after the coop, nsts, and roost have been sprayed. Avid straw or hay that may harbor mites, and get into crevices with the spray where they hide. Here are 2 good articles that have good pictures and advice.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html
http://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

51krfgubz3L._SY679_.jpg

Thanks so much. I have the premethrin. My husband is supposed to help me spray since I'm pregnant. He is slacking and it annoys me. I just want to do it myself.. I was treating the birds with ivermectin but then found out it can cause birth defects and kind of terrified myself after getting some on my arm. I'm pretty huge right now and doing my best to get on top of this but been difficult. I only use hay in the nesting boxes and have pine shavings on the floor of the hen house. The run is all dirt. I got the premethrin spray for the coop. Should i use it on the birds to or retreat with the ivermectin?

Yes, be sure to read the label inside for mixing instructions. 5% to 10% is acceptable for chickens, but 5% may be better for silkies. Mites can be in more places than lice which tend to be in one spot. Let us know how it works, and good luck.

Yes, be sure to read the label inside for mixing instructions. 5% to 10% is acceptable for chickens, but 5% may be better for silkies. Mites can be in more places than lice which tend to be in one spot. Let us know how it works, and good luck.
When 5 ml of the 10% concentrate is mixed with one quart of water the the final dilution percentage is about 0.05%.

Instruction for Gordon's 10%

Last edited:
Thanks i will update. Hubby promises to spray everything for me sat including the chickens. Can this be used on ducks too? I have a special needs ancona drake and a Golden 3000 hen. Should i treat them too?
When 5 ml of the 10% concentrate is mixed with one quart of water the the final dilution percentage is about 0.05%. Our sprayer is a gallon I believe.. [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Instruction for Gordon's 10%[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom