Sponsored Post How to: Introduce new birds to your flock

Ok so I would say that I am new to chickens but have caught on pretty well, however I have never introduced new pullets to the 4 I started my flock with. This is about to change. I got two leghorns when they were 6 weeks and they have been in a smaller coop and run that ran along the big run so they have been in view of the big girls this whole time. They are now 11 weeks how would be the best to move them in, if I even can. I need the small coop for some chicks I have had in the house.

Sounds like you have had the new chicks separated for a few weeks now. If you free range at all, I would let all of them out together and see how they do. There is going to be some pecking and chasing, but as I can tell you from my experience this is normal, and they will work it out. As long as there is no blood just let it go and keep them all together. Let us know how it goes.

I have let them free range together for almost two weeks but the leghorns stay clear the big girls
That's not a bad thing at all. When I introduced one new pullet to my 3, she hid the first few days and then stayed by herself. Now a month in, and they all 4 stay together. You have an advantage in that your have each other to stick with. Is say go ahead and keep them all together, starting at night when they all go to sleep. There will be a few tiffs here and there. If you keep waiting, it will just get more difficult as they get older. They have to establish the pecking order.

Ok tonight's the night then!
So how did it go?? I just got home from work and saw 3 Hawks flying in circles around my back yard. My girls and guy will not be free ranging today haha. Anyways just wanted to see how the first night of them all being together went for you??

It seems to have gone alright. I waited till they were sleeping and snuck them onto one of the roosts. This morning they are all in the run but keeping some major distance
Just keep doing what your doing, and as long as there not trying to kill each other your good.

I have 2 new chinks and am getting two more today. They are all 2 weeks old. I have a small coop that would only hold 2 large hens and maybe 4 bantam. My large coop holds 8 hens (currently housing 4). I was thinking when they are fully feathered and can be in a coop without heat I would take them to the mini coop. So at 6 weeks mini coop, the entire what? Maybe 6 weeks mini coop with allowing free raging with the other flock once a day or twice. The. 6 weeks after that add them to the large coop (they will be 18 weeks and ready to lay soon)? Does that sound about right?

I need help. This is my first time on this site. I have 2 roosters and one hen in my existing flock, bringing in 5 hens. They have been in the coop together but separated for 4 days. When I let them mingle for the first time my roosters chased the hens and plucked feathers out. My hen was fussing too. Do I let them figure it out or wait more days.

Back
Top Bottom