How to make hens go broody.

You can't make a hen go broody and yes roosters will mate any hen they get the chance to. That doesn't mean they will fertilize the eggs because a smaller rooster would have a harder time to fertilize a bigger hens egg

I was wondering, Do all roosters mate hens if given the chance? Also how do you make hens go broody?

They can't really be "forced", but if you have a broody breeds, like a silkie or Cochin, you can encourage them by darkening a nesting box and leaving a few eggs in it constantly. They like privacy to brood, and they won't really brood unless they have a clutch of eggs. If you leave all the eggs in one box for a few days, somebody might get the urge, but again, the breed would be the most important factor. Most egg layers aren't bred to go broody.

I have yet to have a hen go broody just because there was a pile of eggs sitting around. And I've got 3 very broody hens in my flock. Your girls will either go broody or not, but there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it happen. If there was a way to make hens broody on demand, nobody would need incubators.

I have yet to have a hen go broody just because there was a pile of eggs sitting around. And I've got 3 very broody hens in my flock. Your girls will either go broody or not, but there is absolutely nothing you can do to make it happen. If there was a way to make hens broody on demand, nobody would need incubators.

Lol you could try what I did this last time... I sat Little Momma down and real nicely told her that I needed her to brood some eggs for me, "don't you miss being a mommy?"..

She went broody the next day :lau

Back
Top Bottom