How to make my rooster mate with a chosen hen?

FrostyWind

Songster
7 Years
Jun 12, 2016
Good day, I'd like to know how I could get chosen roosters to mate with chosen hens?
I have a Silkie rooster, if I pick up any female from in the yard, he comes rushing over waiting for me to put that hen down so he could mount her?
We got about 14 roosters and 20+ hens. They're all free range getting to do whatever they want.
I got the male silkie as a chick, i don't know how he learned that behavior but it's awesome.
I was wondering if I could teach other roosters to do what he does (coming after hens I'm holding)?
Thanks

So 1) multiple roos can breed with a single hen so each egg could have a different sire. 2) She will stay fertile from whoever she's bred with for 2-3 weeks! So the reality is, she'd need to be separate from the unwanted roosters for at least 3 weeks. 3) At that point either keep the other roosters away, or keep her away with the wanted rooster. If they mate, that's great, in a day or two start saving those eggs! I'd feel more comfortable knowing they've mated a few times, especially for heavily feathered breeds (I know he's a silkie) 4) It's super easy to artificially inseminate a hen. You need to pick up the roo and turn him on his back and push below his vent. It will force out the semen. Just suck some up with a dropper and shove it (gently) into the hen's vent and release it. You would still need to keep the hens separate from the roosters to ensure she isn't getting fertilized.

So 1) multiple roos can breed with a single hen so each egg could have a different sire. 2) She will stay fertile from whoever she's bred with for 2-3 weeks! So the reality is, she'd need to be separate from the unwanted roosters for at least 3 weeks. 3) At that point either keep the other roosters away, or keep her away with the wanted rooster. If they mate, that's great, in a day or two start saving those eggs! I'd feel more comfortable knowing they've mated a few times, especially for heavily feathered breeds (I know he's a silkie) 4) It's super easy to artificially inseminate a hen. You need to pick up the roo and turn him on his back and push below his vent. It will force out the semen. Just suck some up with a dropper and shove it (gently) into the hen's vent and release it. You would still need to keep the hens separate from the roosters to ensure she isn't getting fertilized.
Is there a place I can buy the rooster semen to inseminate my hens or do I have to get a rooster

Not really. And you don't need a rooster either for chicks, you can just get hatching eggs for a broody hen to sit on.
I want my hens to have their own chicks specifically one of my hens that we love. Any recommendations on this? Should I find a friend and extract the roosters semen?

I want my hens to have their own chicks specifically one of my hens that we love. Any recommendations on this? Should I find a friend and extract the roosters semen?
Extracting rooster juice sounds impractical and possibly harmful for him. So does squirting the hens.
If you're dead set on continuing a genetic line of your hen, you must borrow a rooster or take your hen to a rooster.
The rooster must be quarantined for 30 days or more away from your flock or your hen for 30 days away from him. Either way, you will open up both flocks to disease and most poultry disease are deadly, incurable and highly contagious.
You'll still need an incubator as breeding doesn't make a hen broody.
If your hen happens to go broody and whether she's sitting on her own eggs or hatching eggs, she'll never know.
3-4 weeks after the chicks hatch, she'll start attacking them to wean them away from her, she will not care about them in any way shape or form after that.
At least half the chicks will be male, you need a plan for them, cull? Rehome?
Its much, much easier and safer to just get hatching eggs, I can't recommend against this idea enough. It has the potential of harming or killing the birds. If you really like this hen, I would really recommend you reconsider.

Extracting rooster juice sounds impractical and possibly harmful for him. So does squirting the hens.
If you're dead set on continuing a genetic line of your hen, you must borrow a rooster or take your hen to a rooster.
The rooster must be quarantined for 30 days or more away from your flock or your hen for 30 days away from him. Either way, you will open up both flocks to disease and most poultry disease are deadly, incurable and highly contagious.
You'll still need an incubator as breeding doesn't make a hen broody.
If your hen happens to go broody and whether she's sitting on her own eggs or hatching eggs, she'll never know.
3-4 weeks after the chicks hatch, she'll start attacking them to wean them away from her, she will not care about them in any way shape or form after that.
At least half the chicks will be male, you need a plan for them, cull? Rehome?
Its much, much easier and safer to just get hatching eggs, I can't recommend against this idea enough. It has the potential of harming or killing the birds. If you really like this hen, I would really recommend you reconsider.
Are 4 chickens enough to introduce a rooster? 2 of them are bantams and 1 is a 6 years old but still laying eggs.

I find it weird to extract seamon for backyard chickens and hobbyists who are breeding with chickens.

If you want chicks from one of your roosters, make it possible that only he will fertilise your hens. Put them in a seperate coop and run and gather eggs after 3 weeks. Mark the eggs (date). If you have a broody lay eggs under her from 2-14 days old. If not use an incubator.

Put several hens with one rooster.
Choose hens that lay a different color eggs if you want to be sure which egg is from which hen.

Btw: You can sell such eggs as hatchery eggs too.

Are 4 chickens enough to introduce a rooster? 2 of them are bantams and 1 is a 6 years old but still laying eggs.
If he’s a friendly rooster and not huge compared to the bantams it will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom