How to properly manage mould?

Nutcase

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Australia
My Coop
My Coop
We are knee deep in the monsoon season right now and there is so much moisture everywhere. Any tips on staying on top of the mould? The water and food containers are constantly getting mouldy. Are there any natural and chicken friendly mould prevention ideas out there? Keeping the dishes inside the coop doesn't work, the moisture even gets inside there.

Tea tree oil is an excellent mould killer, but that will be way too expensive in your situation. A cheaper option is vinegar. Try spraying the food and water containers with vinegar and allow it to dry before using them. Good luck!

I'd normally use bleach, but I don't know if it's going to be a good idea on chicken waterers. Let me know how it works? We have the exact opposite problem from you here (SA) weather wise. It's been so hot and dry this past 3 weeks, the trees are bribing the dogs. Crazy weather...

I'll let you know when I try it out tomorrow. It has rained SO much that some people were isolated in their homes by the water. Getting rid of the mould is really important as I don't want the flock catching anything.

Good old hydrogen peroxide for cleaning. You can also mix half water/half peroxide and spray on problem areas. This will not hurt your chickens and will stop the mold spores.

Back
Top Bottom