How to start baby chicks without a coop

robininhishand

Chirping
Feb 28, 2020
Hi all,

I am looking for a chicken coop, but wanted to get started raising some chicks when they are available. I had used a bathtub in the past, but dont have that option available now. So outside, what would a cheap way to do it to keep them warm, etc. I am in N. Atlanta and it is pretty warm already here. Thanks in advance! (any suggestions to buy a coop from also? for hopefully under $300) I hope to free range so don't need a huge run. or will add a run later

Hi all,

I am looking for a chicken coop, but wanted to get started raising some chicks when they are available. I had used a bathtub in the past, but dont have that option available now. So outside, what would a cheap way to do it to keep them warm, etc. I am in N. Atlanta and it is pretty warm already here. Thanks in advance! (any suggestions to buy a coop from also? for hopefully under $300) I hope to free range so don't need a huge run. or will add a run later
It's not a good idea to get the chicks before you have a coop.
Have you checked for a small used shed you can convert into a coop? Or someone selling a coop that you can clean and sanitize? Check CL and FB poultry groups.
Then you can brood your chicks directly in the coop with a brooder plate or momma heating pad.

I would advise against getting chicks before the coop. We didnt have ours set up before we got chicks but we had it. And chicks grow fast. We also converted an old outdoor playhouse to their coop but since we cant free range that coop is also inside of a run. I got the playhouse for free, just had to buy the hardware cloth for the windows to make it secure. (We had the wood in our garage to build a door).

I agree with the above. No matter how carefully you plan things out, there's always a chance that something will happen to suddenly kink your plan, then you're left scrambling at the last minute to try and compensate.

We thought we'd have plenty of time to put together a coop before chicks got too big. Then we suddenly had to have two bathrooms shut down and taken apart because of mold/rot, and the only other available shower was... where we had the chicks. So they HAD to go out... and we still hadn't put together the coop. Ended up spending two days out in the rain, trying to assemble as fast as possible.

Back
Top Bottom