How to stop egg laying and diet

Joeysmom

Chirping
Jun 26, 2022
Hello. I’m back again! My little Joey survived her last egg laying and is back to her cute self and happy. We had two visits to the vet . She was given Prostaglandin (sp) twice to help expel the egg. Oxygen, IV fluid, and medications for pain and possible infection. The X rays showed some kind of mass that pushes into her lungs when the egg is passing thru and also neuropathic symptoms . I had resigned myself that I would have to have her put down upon her next egg laying . However , she has not shown any egg laying behavior since then. Her normal cycle was an egg every 4 days . We are in day 8. I am sure she was a bit traumatized by her experience . Me probably more! Lol Since then I have been only giving her 10 hours of daylight , hoping it inhibits egg laying. My question is this. I want to change her diet as well, do I decrease calcium ? I am worried if she does lay an egg it will be soft shelled and she becomes egg bound again it could break. Any thoughts on a diet for her ?? Or any thoughts on how to naturally keep her from laying . Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• B6FD5A30-E9D7-45FC-B754-F692FDEC41A9.jpeg
    B6FD5A30-E9D7-45FC-B754-F692FDEC41A9.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I would keep her on reduced light, but I would not stop giving her calcium. If you provide it on the side she will eat as much as she needs. Lack of calcium would make egg laying even harder for her if she does produce an egg.

Best of luck with her!

I would keep her on reduced light, but I would not stop giving her calcium. If you provide it on the side she will eat as much as she needs. Lack of calcium would make egg laying even harder for her if she does produce an egg.

Best of luck with her!
Thank you so much. 😊

Back
Top Bottom