How to stop rooster from jumping on a hen

Sylvia0223

Songster
Sep 8, 2021
I just want to know how to stop a young rooster he is only 19 weeks old from jumping on my hen who is also a 19 weeks old, is there a way to stop roosters from jumping ? I don’t want to get rid of him cause he is so sweet but I don’t want him to hurt my hen ( I guess they can injure hens pretty bad ) any advice ? This is my first rooster and I don’t want to give him away.

Attachments

• 4159DF15-1FD1-4D2E-8CC0-AB8A174E8EDB.jpeg
    4159DF15-1FD1-4D2E-8CC0-AB8A174E8EDB.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
I just want to know how to stop a young rooster he is only 19 weeks old from jumping on my hen who is also a 19 weeks old, is there a way to stop roosters from jumping ? I don’t want to get rid of him cause he is so sweet but I don’t want him to hurt my hen ( I guess they can injure hens pretty bad ) any advice ? This is my first rooster and I don’t want to give him away.
Yes, by locking him away.

He can hurt the girls if there are not enough hens for him. How many girls do you have and what breeds? How much space do they have?

By "jumping" i assume you mean mating behavior? What breed is the hen? If it is a bantam I would look out. If the hen is the same size as the rooster then its not really hurting them. Watch out for overmating or if the hen loses to much feathers on its head. There isn't really any other way of stopping the rooster from jumping on them unless you separate them or get rid of it.

He is trying to be the top in the pecking order, and want's the hen to be submissive so he can start breeding. The only way that you would be able to stop it until the hen is mature enough is to put him in a separate pen and then try him after the hen is already laying egg's. The boy's mature faster then the girl's do.

Edit: By mature, I should have said that the male hormones' kick in faster then the girl's.

Last edited:
Yes, by locking him away.

He can hurt the girls if there are not enough hens for him. How many girls do you have and what breeds? How much space do they have?
There is 7 hens only 3 that are his age and 4 that are older and actually chase him off, they have a lot of space, 3 acres of free range space. He does not jump on them when they are in the runways, it’s a lot of space as well …the breeds are: sapphire gem, ISA brown , buff Orpington, black australorp and barred rock ( he is a barred rock rooster)

There is 7 hens only 3 that are his age and 4 that are older and actually chase him off, they have a lot of space, 3 acres of free range space. He does not jump on them when they are in the runways, it’s a lot of space as well …the breeds are: sapphire gem, ISA brown , buff Orpington, black australorp and barred rock ( he is a barred rock rooster)
I wouldn't separate him unless you notice issues. He may needs more hens in the future, but it sounds fine now. The set up sounds fine too. He is getting bullied, but will likely assert dominance some day. Which would be normal.

I wouldn't separate him unless you notice issues. He may needs more hens in the future, but it sounds fine now. The set up sounds fine too. He is getting bullied, but will likely assert dominance some day. Which would be normal.
Ok thank you, he is so sweet I don’t want to give him away. And yes the black australorp and buff Orpington chase him off. My black australorp is a head of the hens the top one so she makes sure all is well and actually tries to boss him around. But he is bossing the sapphire gem pullets since they are younger

Let him do his thing.
But what if he injures the hen ? I don’t want the hen to suffer, I have read they can even leave scares on their backs … she is a young pullet she have not even laid an egg yet. She just started to squat last week and he already jumped on her 3 times, twice I chased him off and once my older hen ( the head of the hens came to the rescue and chased him off )

Sapphire Gems are very submissive. I have 4 that have been mating with a little bantam Cochin roo that is the same age. Or at least trying to mate…

Back
Top Bottom