how to stpp guineas from flying

chickbird

Songster
May 4, 2009
I HAVE JUST GOTTEN 6 ADULT GUINEAS AND HAVE NEVER RAISED THEM BEFORE. AFTER I HAVE PENNED THEM FOR ABOUT 2 MONTHS, I WOULD LIKE TO LET THEM FREE RANGE WITH MY CHICKENS, I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN AND HAVE 4 ACRES THAT IS FENCED, I KNOW THEY FLY REALLY WELL, CAN I CLIP ONE OF THE WINGS( FEATHERS) AND PREVENT THEM FROM FLYING? THANKS

2ND QUESTION : I THINK I HAVE 2 HENS AND 4 MALES, IS IT OK TO LEAVE THEM ALL TOGETHER AS A FLOCK?

Yes, you can clip the primary feathers but only on one wing otherwise they will still be able to fly. Even with the wings clipped this way they will still be able to fly 6ft up for short lengths, but after getting to know your chickens they'll stick around.

Male:Female ratio should be 1:1 or 1:5 for mating season. If there's too many males they will overbreed the hens and can damage or kill them. You can put 1 or 2 males with the females in a covered pen for breeding season, but for the rest of the year it's fine.
Good luck :D

I started out with 10 males and 2 females. I never had a problem with overbreeding. The females will choose one male and the rest of the males will form a bachelor group. I see no need for separating your guineas.
smile.png

I started out with 10 males and 2 females. I never had a problem with overbreeding. The females will choose one male and the rest of the males will form a bachelor group. I see no need for separating your guineas.
smile.png

Out of the six i have noticed there is one that they chase and do not want in the group. I don;t know yet whether it is a male or female. any ideas as to why ? do you suppose that it is a male. i have been listening to the 2 distinct calls but have not got a clear idea as to whther it is male or female. they don't seem to be hurting this one, just not wanting him in the group. note, they were all raised as a group by the previous owner.

What you are describing is very common. It seems like there is always an outcast in every group. I've never found any reason for it. And the outcast can be male or female. It hurts my feelings to see that behavior in my flock. But that's just the way guineas are. The outcast is not likely to be hurt. They will just always follow along on the outskirts of the group.

If the distinct sound you're hearing is a two syllable sound like 'goback goback goback', Then those are your females. A male cannot make that sound.
smile.png

Thanks for the reply. This site has so many knowledgeable people who always give such good info.

The male makes a 1-syllable sound - chi, chi, chi.

Chickbird, I have 2 & 2 male:female. There is 1 mean male and I crazy female and 1 outcast. I sure need to find the "normal" male and breed him - lol.

There probably needs to be a quarantine period before introducing, is that correct?

So, do you have predators? Will they NEED to fly?

The male makes a 1-syllable sound - chi, chi, chi.

Chickbird, I have 2 & 2 male:female. There is 1 mean male and I crazy female and 1 outcast. I sure need to find the "normal" male and breed him - lol.

There probably needs to be a quarantine period before introducing, is that correct?

So, do you have predators? Will they NEED to fly?
I plan to try the clipping of one wing feathers, just let them free range in the day and place in coop at night, i have had chickens and ducks where i am and lost some chickens on one occasion to an owl but no problems since. We do have a family of foxes up the street, but they are out at night and i have an electric fence we turn on when we shut them up at night. Living in a really small one red lightl town i am afraid to have them flying for fear they will go into a neighbors yard. In asking about how to introduce, can i just place the new comer in with the guineas at night and they not fight it the next day or what should I do? thanks i have 4 acres for them to roam on, all enclosed with a 4 foot fence.

w

Back
Top Bottom