How to train a duck

austroberta

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
The past few days, my ducks have not been going gently back into their brooder when I can't watch them outside anymore. I know it's my fault, as I still don't have their duck house and pen ready yet and they're all pretty big gals now, but it is what it is. When I have to do stuff inside the house, they have to come in and hang in their pet pool brooder. Today, between my husband and I, we spent 15 traumatic minutes trying to get them in their tote container, so I might bring them inside. They all screamed bloody murder. I had to bring them inside the house one at a time, as, being the smart ducks they are, they know how to get out of the tote. The first one was inside the brooder alone, for what seem liked an eternity, while I caught the other two. She was really upset for about 15 minutes afterwards when I got everyone inside. Boy, she was loud! I felt very small and very guilty. How do I not repeat this in the future? I can use peas, but I'm wondering if they'd know it was a ruse to get them to get in the tote. They recognize the blue tote and know what it means when I bring it out so they can go outside and play and when I pick it up, signaling it's time to come inside.

Thanks Chickens Really! It's good to hear that it's a phase. I used to put them in a temporary fence, but then I started opening it up, little by little, until I don't use it at all. It was nice to see them walking about, but if it's going to cause them to scream every time I put them inside, I might have to bring the fence back.

Thanks!

A tote sounds like it could be a little flimsy and that instability may be uncomfortable for the duckies- perhaps try a storage bin to transport the ducks in and out? This is what I use, when we leave in the afternoon and won’t be back till after sunset we don’t want to coop ours up early so we bring them back inside in the brooder. The duck yard we have if fairly contained and we spend time petting and handling them, so when we go out to get them the storage bin is off to the side- sometimes bring out their carrier even when you don’t put them in it. Try to disassociate the tote/bin with the experience, let it be a random occasion (even if it’s not). Let them sit in the tote while you stroke them so they know it’s nothibg to be scared of.

Best of luck!

As chickens really stated they are in their teen age 'the world is trying to kill me' mode. That being said it also sounds as if they have outgrown the brooder phase and need to be in a permanent pen on a full time basis.

A tote sounds like it could be a little flimsy and that instability may be uncomfortable for the duckies- perhaps try a storage bin to transport the ducks in and out? This is what I use, when we leave in the afternoon and won’t be back till after sunset we don’t want to coop ours up early so we bring them back inside in the brooder. The duck yard we have if fairly contained and we spend time petting and handling them, so when we go out to get them the storage bin is off to the side- sometimes bring out their carrier even when you don’t put them in it. Try to disassociate the tote/bin with the experience, let it be a random occasion (even if it’s not). Let them sit in the tote while you stroke them so they know it’s nothibg to be scared of.

Best of luck!
A tote is a bin.....:hugs

Sourland, I agree. They need to be outside already. My whole family has been under the weather, one by one, from a nasty bug, so the house/pen hasn't been completed yet. I'm getting there, but unfortunately, I still need the brooder for now.

I was very delayed in getting my duck house and pen built because of an injury, so I completely understand and sympathize. I was desperate to get my ducks moved outside full time, but we have predators and I had to have a safe home for them. Being unable to lift a tool of any kind for more than a few minutes made for very slow going. Mine moved in mid September and two started laying very soon after that.

Thanks, Duckworth. Considering your amazing house/coop, all's well that ends well! On top of the bug, my husband hurt his back when we made the first attempt to get the house/coop done. If I had one piece of advice to give any new duck parent, I'd tell him/her to work out the coop details first and then get the ducks. I had read ducks grow quickly, but for some reason, I failed to understand just what quick means. They shot up like rockets.

I'm pretty desperate to get them out too, but there's not way I'm throwing them out to the raccoons.

Back
Top Bottom