Nksg75

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Needville Texas
My Coop
My Coop
AHi everyone,
One of my roosters in a flock of 80 has this eye growth. He has had it for about 2 months, and it keeps getting larger. I now noticed his other eye is starting the get the same thing.
I have tried eye ointments, and it doesn’t seem to do much of anything.
If I put any pressure on it, it doesn’t move.
I considered trying to remove it, however I don’t want to do more harm, and I don’t think it will just pop out on its own.
He is the only one with this issue, and behaves just like a typical hormonal 6 month old rooster.
If you have ever come across something like this please let me know what you think it might be and any suggestions on what to do about it.
This is something I will be doing myself. If need be I will ask my cousin who is a vet tech to assist me.
Here are the pics of his eye.(Had to take a selfie to get a decent pic!)
FDC75B92-E513-4F21-983D-802A9AD16F43.jpeg

Some of the gunk on top may be from the eye ointment. Not positive on that though.

328DB83B-827A-47BC-B761-CC747DF7F7F8.jpeg

I

This is his other eye that just recently started getting it.
E747B2DC-EFE8-48BC-BB91-593C0305333B.jpeg

Anyway, if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Attachments

• 11B635AD-9287-405B-818D-D2053EB107D5.jpeg
    11B635AD-9287-405B-818D-D2053EB107D5.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 8D8CD0B3-D83D-42F5-B732-2B26EC362B22.jpeg
    8D8CD0B3-D83D-42F5-B732-2B26EC362B22.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 1
  • AE6D8CF4-DBB1-4311-8A34-243539E3B8AE.jpeg
    AE6D8CF4-DBB1-4311-8A34-243539E3B8AE.jpeg
    491.9 KB · Views: 1
One thing I should mention is that this growth is mainly a clear bubble. (Think of a blister) There is nothing to indicate worms.
He is still able to close his eyes. The larger growth is pushing his lower lid down.
I have tried moving it by applying slight pressure from below the lid, and from the side when I put ointment on.
This thing doesn’t budge, this is why I am afraid if I force it, I would do more harm than good.
I also should mention that I have not been consistent with eye ointment(he’s not an easy catch).

The only thing I can think of that might cause that sort of conjunctivitis is mycoplasma (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. Tylan or oxytetracycline are used to treat it, and it can come back during periods of stress. If your coop has poor circulation, dusty or moldy conditions, poor air circulation, or an ammonia odor from droppings, it can create ideal conditions for an outbreak. @dawg53 and @casportpony have seen a lot in chickens, and might have further ideas. Here is an article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

I don't know what the cause is.
From the pictures it looks like an eyelid problem rather than an eye problem. I assume the bump is preventing the lower eyelid from fully retracting (?)

What I am wondering is if the third transparent eyelid that moves from side to side below both other eyelids is working. This is what keeps the eye clean and moist.

I don't know what the cause is.
From the pictures it looks like an eyelid problem rather than an eye problem. I assume the bump is preventing the lower eyelid from fully retracting (?)

What I am wondering is if the third transparent eyelid that moves from side to side below both other eyelids is working. This is what keeps the eye clean and moist.
Very good point. Let me get a video and post it.

If you have vet care, that would be best.
It looks like pus in the eye to me. Removing the yellow cheesy pus would be important in order to get it to start healing.
Also, if you will, look inside his beak for any yellow cheesy material, hard to see in the beak in the video, could be the color of his beak, but possibly something under his tongue on the side(?) He has a lot of saliva, could be he was worked up from being handled.

Here's one video of removing pus from the eye, suspected Coryza on this one, but the pus was somewhat behind a membrane and they had to work at getting that out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/maran-pullet-with-swollen-closed-eye.1284967/#post-20846044

If you have vet care, that would be best.
It looks like pus in the eye to me. Removing the yellow cheesy pus would be important in order to get it to start healing.
Also, if you will, look inside his beak for any yellow cheesy material, hard to see in the beak in the video, could be the color of his beak, but possibly something under his tongue on the side(?) He has a lot of saliva, could be he was worked up from being handled.

Here's one video of removing pus from the eye, suspected Coryza on this one, but the pus was somewhat behind a membrane and they had to work at getting that out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/maran-pullet-with-swollen-closed-eye.1284967/#post-20846044
Ok thanks, I will check out the link. Yes, he was really worked up about my son having to chase him around and around to try and catch the little bugger!

Back
Top Bottom