How to tubefeed hen with wry neck?

Pompona

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Spain
Hi, does anyone have experience tubefeedkng a chicken with severe wry neck? I am afraid I will hurt her if I straighten the neck to tube feed her. She's still eatkng but she can barely drink on her own, because she cannot lift her head.
It is very likely she has Marek's, since my flock is positive for it.
Thanks

I haven’t got experience with this but I have tube fed chickens before. If you go slowly you might be able to do it, especially if someone can help hold her. Make sure the tube is flexible and the end bit is soft — you can use a lighter to melt and soften the edges.

Otherwise I would get someone to help hold her and syringe fluids into her beak. So long as you get it in the right position, under the tongue and to the right.

Poor lady, it might be nearing time to consider her quality of life.

Hi, does anyone have experience tubefeedkng a chicken with severe wry neck? I am afraid I will hurt her if I straighten the neck to tube feed her. She's still eatkng but she can barely drink on her own, because she cannot lift her head.
It is very likely she has Marek's, since my flock is positive for it.
Thanks
I used a small eyedropper and put on food and in water also you can use small amounts without out diluting

I managed to tube feed her with the help of my husband. Let's see if she improves over the next couple of days.
Thanks for your replies

Today was not so easy. I tube fed her but she regurgiated some of the liquid and I was sure it was the end. But apparently she didn't aspirate. It's being a roller coaster. I will give her a couple more days...

She seems to be improving a little, she was able to drink a little bit on her own.. I am giving her Harrison's recovery mash, vitamins and Chinese skullcap.

Back
Top Bottom